iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Lady of the House

Started by Gunny, September 25, 2005, 11:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunny

She's ready to start her little one-woman show with the new Woodmaster planer-molder she picked up a while ago.  Now, I can train her in lots of things (Kenpo Karate-Kobudo, Marksmanship, Jungle, Winter, and Desert Warfare Chainsaws, Sawmills, DH Dryers, hand-and-power tools, etc.) but I've never owned or run one of these critters.  She has the "712" and will start out by just practicing her planing on KD Cedar and White Pine, then on to RO, WO, Cherry, Hickory, at the like. 

Any helpful hints for the fine gal will certainly be appreciated.  The machine is set to go and she wants to plug that thing in this evening.   (Oh, she got one of those "Super-Poly Boards" on it but it looks to me to have taken away both width and depth of cut.) Should be fun, but we need her around a while longer--the harvest isn't all canned-up yet!

Thanks much in advance.

sawwood

Gunny i have the 18" woodmaster and the one thing i can tell you is
that when you run any hard wood threw it makes a lot of noise. But
don't let that scare you, and it will the first time. Its good you have
started with soft wood to git a feel for it. Go by the direction and make
sure the wood is over size as they state in the manual. You will have to
play with the speed control till you git a feel for how fast to run the
blank threw it. I have had my 18 for 5 years now and have had no trouble
with it. The poly board is the only way to go as you don't want the knives
to hit the metal bed if you go to deep of a cut. Have fun and be safe
and you will have some nice looking mouldings.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Gary_B

Gunny,
I also have the 718, and have found a good dust collector works wonders too, keeps all those chips clear of cutting knives and easier clean up afterwards. One of the best machines I have run. I use the poly board too, and makes a difference with the feed, feedrollers never slip due to metal surface not being slick enough. :)

Thank You Sponsors!