iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a new home, returning to the farm.

Started by SwampDonkey, January 11, 2018, 12:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yep. There won't be any snow or ground frost, or threat there of, when we start digging around first of May. ;D Been in Royalton about 4 weeks now, another 6 will go by just as fast. Another 6 more I'll be in a new house. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

As it turned out, I am waiting here until the 21 of May for the roads to reopen (annual spring break up closures) so we can haul full loads of cement. One of these nights this week I will meet with my excavator man and cement man to show them the layout for the buildings on the site. Should be scratching ground next week. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Weekend_Sawyer

is that 960 sq ft total???
that must be each floor right?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

Each floor yes. :)

I think we are going to pound stakes tonight with the excavator man.

thecfarm

Good luck!!
Back bedroom we hit rock. And I do mean rock. Every was going good until I heard the noise of a big rock. We did not want to move the angle of the house because of the view. And if we did,would we hit another rock?? Blasting boys took care of that problem and $500 too. They must of been drinking coffee at the shop. They was about 45 minutes away and they was at my house in just about that time.  Lucky!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I think everything should be fine as far as rocks and ledge. We don't have real big rocks as a rule, there might be one like a wheel barrel on occasion. Ledge is one of them things you might not hit for 20 feet, 8 feet or 2 feet. Pretty sure it is good and deep here though. Time will tell. ;D

SwampDonkey

Sewer has government approval, digging tomorrow, and cement guy coming Monday for forms and footing. 8)

SwampDonkey

House Site. If I never mentioned it before, I have a 4.5 acre lot here.

Straight ahead just off the curve in the drive is the spot for the house. Outside basement entry out toward those thick dandelions to the left (west - facing Maine).

From the north

A little to the left

Shop area

Gardens and vineyard off in the distance

Potatoes are just breaking ground, lettuce and Swiss chard are up. Spinach is slow. It's bone dry here, and I mean dry. Apple blossums to the far left in photo. ;)

Magicman

We have been on those hills to the West and to the River on the East too.  Actually we have almost circled your place.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

That little bush there, in the view from the north, that is a striped maple. I planted that because of the rather big leaves and the stripes in the bark. Some are a lime green, others turn red in the bark then after a few years they turn real dark green with the stripes as well. I think the last time or two I was up at Jeff's stomping grounds he and I both sorta kept an eye out for them when visiting the parks. I have mentioned before that the stems might make an interesting chair project. I have seen the Amish in northern Maine make rockers with bark left on them. They use ash though. This is by Smyrna. I think there is also a fella near Easton making rockers, not been there except to drive by when the ground was turning to soup this spring, so didn't stop in. The road he is on is the Bangor Road. It runs past the Easton School and is sort of a back road that also runs down to Mars Hill and comes out by the town garage, although by then it branches off onto another road or two coming from Easton. Anyway, a bit of a meandering tale to say that I intend to visit and see if I can find a rocker sometime this summer. ;)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

Nice!

In the first picture, the way the trees are makes me think there might have been a building there at one time.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

Yes, my great grandfather's house on dad's mother's side.

SwampDonkey

Foundations all dug today. We did find some ledge. But we ripped it right outta there. ;D

House

Garage

Shop

Couldn't be more prouder if they was my own boys. Here at 8:00 am and down the road at 6:00 pm ;D 8)

Magicman

Looking Good!  Gotta be an exciting time for you.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

maple flats

When my oldest son and I put in his cellar in 2002, the excavator found a BIG rock. The excavator was big but I don't recall the make or model, but he could not lift it. He just cut a ramp and moved it to the front yard at my son's request. The rock is about 9' long, 6' wide and maybe 5.5' high on one end and 4.5' high on the other. It is a hard rock. My son has talked of having their last name etched in it by a grave stone engraver, but 16 years later now and that has not happened yet.
After the cellar, a modular was set on the 32 x 68' foundation. We went with those insulated foam blocks and had a pump truck fill them. His cellar is 9'4" high, so heat ducts and plumbing could be hidden with a suspended ceiling at just under 8'. The basement is partially finished. 
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

SwampDonkey

That's a big modular. That with garage to?

I'll have 8' 6" in the basement I believe and I'm installing a wood furnace. I don't want a finished basement, I have to store wood. And I really don't need a finished basement or the extra expense. I have a barn for storage on site. Yes, rocks. Most big rocks here are no bigger than a wheel barrel, but I did notice 3 or 4 almost the size of 2 wheel barrels. Something that might make a little 26 HP Kabota BX grunt a bit. They are sitting under my lower driveway right now. ;D

sandhills

Those are some monster footings, just for reference I trenched some for a 60'x70' hangar we're pouring the slab for on Monday.  The footings were 3' deep and 4" wide  :D.  You're really going to have a nice place there!

SwampDonkey

The cement crew likes some room to work. ;)

Hilltop366

Exciting times!

The foundation people will appreciate the extra room to work.

It is peculiar how ones perception of the building sizes change at different stages of construction.

GRANITEstateMP

Exciting for sure.  From the plans it looks like you've really thought out the design.  We built our place a little under 10 years ago.  Had a couple snags here and there, just keeps ya on your toes!  Only thing(s) I'd have done different would have been to have a one or two foot crete wall on the walkout (to prevent future issues from splash back / snow / rot), had someone else do the chimney..., oh and had a bigger budget!

Looking forward to following you on this journey.

Plus, I love looking a shops / garages too!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

SwampDonkey

WDH

You are going to need a sawmill :).  It has happened before. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!