iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas Trees

Started by WAP Man, December 16, 2008, 11:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAP Man

Hi everyone. First time post ....
What's everyone's take on the retail Christmas tree business in your area. Just wondering how prices are on the lots and what the quality is like.
Specifically Balsam Fir

Dodgy Loner

Our extension office sold Christmas trees this month as a fundraiser for the 4-H club.  Prices were: 4-5', $20; 5-6', $30; 6-7', $40; 7-8', $50; 8-9', $60.  We also sold one 12' tree for $100.  We sold Fraser firs, which are very similar to balsam firs.  They were grown in North Carolina and the quality was top-notch.  I don't think we had an ugly tree in the lot.  Sales were decent, but as a non-profit, we were able to attract a lot of business from folks who wanted to support the 4-H club.  Our prices were pretty low, given the quality and freshness of the trees.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

isawlogs

Here they are in and around the 35-40$/6-7 foot balsam , nice trees once unwraped .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WAP Man

isawlogs... are trees plantation grown ... I sucessfully grew plantation trees a few years ago , but now just have natural regen stands, 10 acres or so.

isawlogs

Yes they are , but I had nothing to do with the planting or anything else other then taking 35$ out of my pocket and stuffing the tree in the trunk of the tender halfs car  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LeeB

Quote from: isawlogs on December 16, 2008, 09:03:01 PM
..... stuffing the tree in the trunk of the tender halfs car  :D

Good for you Marcel. They're not always the better half.  :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

isawlogs

Did I put that foot in mouth ...........  again .   :-\

Marcel

LeeB

Not as long as she ain't reading over your shoulder.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Cedarman

We have a you cut lot about 8 miles from us.  Any tree $12.00    Nice tall trees 8' or so are scarce.  We had to hunt for 10 minutes to find one we liked.  Lots of nice smaller trees.  They have had deer problems and drought problems the last couple of years.   But the price is right.   

We have lots of nice small cedar trees, but Jane and daughter Danielle says we are going to have a real Christmas tree.   They got something against cedar trees. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

pigman

:o  I thought cedar was the Christmas Tree.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WAP Man

Geez isawlogs ... didn't mean to stir things up with the "tender1/2"
So if she's the "tender 1/2.................. ;D

WAP Man

Quote from: pigman on December 17, 2008, 12:38:00 PM
:o  I thought cedar was the Christmas Tree.

No cedar here , some white pine , but mostly Balsam ....tree lots in the town I work in have trees on from 15 - 50 bucks. But the average 7-8 footer can be had for $ 20 - 30

Thank You Sponsors!