iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turkey Season

Started by Autocar, April 20, 2013, 08:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

I believe they've closed the turkey season along counties where the flood waters have them out of their habitat. I had driven up the levee to see where the water was when about 15 turkeys flushed off the inside and flew back into the tree tops. But one jake refused to fly but he ran as fast and far, looked maybe he could have been winged or injured in some way. Lots of nests destroyed by flood waters, think they'll nest again?

sandhills

I'm not sure about your area but here they will nest for quite awhile when the nests get broke up.  I've seen some really small chicks pretty late in the summer, ours are just getting a good start at it and spreading back out but we've really had a cold spring so far.

thecfarm

I saw a tom out back this morning all fanned out. Never saw one outback do that. See them across the road in the field quite often doing that,but never behind the house. There was two other turkeys right up by the OWB looking for acorns from the oak tree. They are only about 30 feet from the house.That is no big deal. We have seen 10 out there at one time. Here's what he left for marks in the woods road.

I should of tried to get a picture of him through the window. Those critters are mighty smart. I go out the back door and if they are in sight of me,they are gone. I don't hunt,don't have nothing against it,just don't. Turkeys have not been on my land that long. When I had a house built here in 2000 there was none. Maybe 5 years later we saw a couple and then more and more after that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I'd like to know how a bird that large can fly throuh a pine tree and take off from the ground like a helicopter and startle the day lights out of you .

We don't have any big pines here but in those northen Pa hills near the NY state border were I first encountered turkeys in the wild they do .Geeze three feet wing span flying through a 2 foot opening ,sideways .I think you'd have better chance of knocking down a quail than a turkey with a full head of steam .They can get out of range for scatter gun in about a twinkling of an eye .

Ron Scott

I had a successful turkey hunt this morning on the last day of the second hunt period. I hunted 6 out of the 7 day period and it took until the last morning to get a gobbler in range for a lethal shot.
~Ron

drobertson

Nice photo Ron! real happy for you, been out this year due to the back surgery, but have the fall season to look forward to,  you have several options there as to how you will prepare this wonderful hunk of breast, country fried, bacon wrapped and grilled, just happy for your result, takes allot of work and patience,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JohnM

Congrats, Ron!  Nice bird. 8)  Even if I did feel like paying for a license I couldn't go with this new job I got, maybe next year.

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 05, 2013, 10:15:17 AM
Geeze three feet wing span flying through a 2 foot opening ,sideways .

Al, they can jump ya and it is pretty amazing how birds that size can move in flight.  When my chickens try to fly they look like a bag of socks being thrown by a lawn mower.  Just ugly.  ;D :D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Ron Scott

One early morning during this turkey season, I was calling on a large tom that was giving me problems by his calling on a couple hens nearby. All of a sudden the two hens started making an excited alarm call. I then saw a coyote sneaking up on the hens when they ran behind the large tom for security. The tom then took after the coyote and the coyote beat it back into the woods.

Needless to say, it messed up my calling that turkey in range, but it's the first time I've ever seen a turkey put the run on a coyote out looking for a meal.
~Ron

beenthere

My period for turkey season is over, but had a few visitors at the lower level window the other morning. They like their reflection - all five of them.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Great group of toms, and where were they during your hunt season?
~Ron

beenthere

Ron
Two of them, I think, were across a field at about 50 yards and out of my bow range. Only managed to get one day of bow hunting in due to the rain and windy weather. I'm a fair-weather bow hunter... ;)

Am thinking I need a drop weight above this window that they like so well. Just need to rig up a good release. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Autocar

So far Ive draw a blank I still have another week but Iam back to logging so maybe I'll have to wait till next season.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!