iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting slab wood

Started by timh, January 12, 2010, 09:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timh

I got a bunch of slab wood to cut whats way chainsaw ,buzz saw?

Bibbyman

I've got no first hand experience with a buzz saw.

But if the slabs are stacked tight and neat or bundled,  a big chain saw with a long bar will go through them pretty fast and you won't have to lift and carry them to the buzz saw.

Others have built racks to stack up a thick wall of slabs and then use the chainsaw to whack them up.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Chuck White

I agree with Bibby, make yourself a rack and use a chainsaw!

With a buzz saw, you have to handle each slab by itself, and they're cut one at a time!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Yup, I just cut down through the whole pile of slabs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bro. Noble

If I can't get better wood,  I pick up a slab bundle on the forks,  put an extra band in the middle to hold the bundle together as I cut furnace length pieces,  hold the bundle over my wood pile and start cutting.  You need to have a good chain file on hand, caus slabs are murder on chains.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

woodmills1

Ya just pick dem up widda log loader and cut dem widda 066 any length ya wants.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

And if ya don't have ah loader, ya cuts dem on da ground....... eh eh
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ohsoloco

Then you REALLY need a good chain file  :D  I stack my slabs up on 8x8's so I can cut all the way through the pile without doing any roto-tilling with the chain  ;)

jimparamedic

I use a buzz saw (slab saw) to cut out the pieces  to resaw into driers and fire wood

moonhill

I hold them over my truck dump bed with the grapple on the self loader, cut to length w/chain saw.  It is a lot saner than chasing them around on the ground. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

woodmills1

haven't tried rototilling with a chain saw for years but will save the idea till spring planting time.................... :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ron Wenrich

I worked in the older sawmills that had a buzz saw right in line of the mill.  We would trim boards and cut the wood into fireplace length right at the mill.  A small belt conveyor was used to put stuff out onto a pile.  Wood was only handled once.

I think a lot depends on how much you produce and how often you cut your slabs.  I've worked with slabs in bundles, and they don't stay that way after a few months.  They spread out.  It also uses lots of banding.  But, if you're selling slabs that are uncut, its a lot easier.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

I rackem and stackem then cut to furnace legnth with a 20" milwaukee electric chainsaw easiest way I've found.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

I strap mine into about 1ton or roughly 1/2 cord bundels and use a 56" bar with a helper handel on a 2095 these days  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris 

4TH Generation Timbergetter

ohsoloco

Quote from: woodmills1 on January 12, 2010, 10:04:02 PM
haven't tried rototilling with a chain saw for years but will save the idea till spring planting time.................... :D

I have lots of experience with it.  The softwood slabs up by the burn pile just get piled on the ground..."surely I can't be through the bottom ones yet..."  ::)

My chains attract rocks on the forest floor, too  :(

sdunston

I use a buzz saw if I have a few willing workers around :D, If not the chainsaw or give it away to the neighbors for kindling wood
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Brucer

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on January 13, 2010, 06:01:50 AM
I've worked with slabs in bundles, and they don't stay that way after a few months.  They spread out.  It also uses lots of banding.  But, if you're selling slabs that are uncut, its a lot easier.

When I was contract sawing for a timber framer, we'd rack the slabs into 1/2 cord bundles and his shop rats would band them up with metal strapping to sell as cheap firewood.

Now I'm out on my own, I made a few changes. The racks have 45 degree corner pieces to make a "rounder" bundle. Then I switched to poly strapping. The round bundles don't loosen up when you move them and the poly has enough stretch to stay tight as the bundles dry and shrink.

I've placed the straps so you can easily saw a bundle up into firewood lengths without sawing the strapping. I just tell folks if they're into re-using, they can drop the used straps off next time they're coming by. I've been getting about 4 uses out of each strap before it disappears.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Coalsmoke

Well, since this discussion is evolving a bit into more of how we each get rid of slabwood, I sell it for $80 a cord, customer picks up and loads and I pro rate it to however much they decide to take. Works well this way, almost no work and cost involved for me.  8)
Visit Coalsmoke's website at www.coalsmoke.com

2008 Norwood Lumber Mate 2000 with Honda 20HP engine.
White 2-60 Field Boss > 65HP Tractor with loader.
Husky Chainsaws 353 and 395XPG heavily modified.
Loving wife who endorses all of the above :)

Brucer

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on January 12, 2010, 04:46:51 PM
You need to have a good chain file on hand, caus slabs are murder on chains.

I stack my slabs flat with the bark always up. When I'm cutting them into firewood for my own use, I roll the bundle onto its side and cut from the bark side. That way the chain is mostly entering from the clean side and blowing out the bark (and grit) ahead of the cutters. Chains haven't been dulling nearly as quick since I started doing this.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Frickman

I have a 30" cutoff saw set up in line with the mills lumber rolls, just like Ron talked about. We try to leave a couple of saw horses off to the side too where the offbearer can stack slabs if he gets behind. My offbearer / offbearers cut up the slabs as we go along with any lumber and blocking that needs cut up. I run a handset circle mill and there are times I need a minute or so to turn a log or something but I don't really need the offbearer to come back and help. Cutting up slabs gives him something to do while he's waiting for me. The firewood we make pays for one man's wages on a normal day and we would have the saw running anyway.

If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

spencerhenry

run them through the firewood processor. or a chopsaw with roller tables

Thank You Sponsors!