iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Medical procedure out side the US

Started by Bruno of NH, December 30, 2018, 04:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Has anyone done this?
I asked about getting my right leg removed below the knee.
They won't do it.
Was thinking maybe Canada or Mexico I could pay someone to do it.
I think when healed up I could go back to full time work.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

I hate to read this.  I am assuming that the Doctors there won't do it because they do not feel that it is medically necessary or ethical.  What options/treatment do they offer? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lxskllr

Sounds extreme. Dropping parts would be my absolute last step. If you're determined, Mexico would probably be more likely than Canada. Might want to look into India too if you have the $ for travel. At least you could see some interesting stuff to help make up for it.

Runningalucas

Mexico, and most places south of the border have some excellent hospitals.  Usually private ones, like StarMedica are where you'd want to check for services rendered, or for doctors operating out of them.  

My experience with them, they're good.   We lived down south for several years, in a few countries.  Every medical procedure I had done, or my wife went well, and was of high caliber.  
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

WV Sawmiller

Sorry to hear it as sounds awful extreme but obviously you have thought a lot about this. I know many countries have very good medical and dental care and people take Medical or Dental vacations to go there. The cost savings in medical or dental treatment off sets the travel expenses and such.

I was working in Afghanistan and a had bad gall bladder attack (1" Stone) and they medivacced me from Bagram to Dubai and removed my gall bladder there. They spotted a mass on my kidney and turned out to be a common cyst and they took it (the cyst) out while I was there too. I was very pleased with the care I got. Of course it helped that my company footed the bill for it there.

You might look at places like Thailand, Ecuador, and Costa Rica too.  Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

Sorry to heaqr this Bruno
All the best in finding the best medical treatment for your problem
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

doctorb

Bruno-

It is not a natural thought to have a body part removed.  Are you willing to share what is the leg injury or affliction that makes you believe that amputation is the best treatment?  Patients with lower extremity amputations can do great.  I have done amputations on patients who have requested amputation and been refused elsewhere.  But I agree to perform them in such cases only after a couple of long and lengthy discussions and, in some cases, a psychiatric examination.  I also make them go see a prosthetist to get a reality check on the rigors of wearing a false leg.  I ask family members or supportive friends to be present during those office discussions as well.  It is not something I take lightly.  

It has been my experience that patients requesting amputations actually have often not educated themselves on what it means to function as an amputee.  They seek out amputation to avoid their current situation.  They are usually so ready to climb out from under whatever burden their leg is providing that they don't look at the reality of the choice they are making.  However, in my experience, it has often be the correct choice for the patient.  The key is making sure that the patient's expectations are aligned with the expected surgical result.  If the patient is "reaching for the moon", unreasonably believing that the amputation is going to radically improve their life or function, then I shy away from the procedure.  

If you feel uncomfortable discussing this on the Forum, then PM me.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

curved-wood

Sorry to ear that. If it is not too intrusive what are the reasons that the doctors dont want to do your operation ?
I dont know if you could do it but Cuba is very good in the medical care. Might have to cross Canada or Mexico first. The international hospitals are in La Habana and are used to treat international tourists. Personally I never experience medical care but I did used the dentist a few times. very pro with high tech equipment and I pay my whole vacation just with the saving. Ex top and bottom entire dental prothesis: $350 US.

DPatton

Bruno,

I don't know the situation with your leg but it's obviously something you have thought about often in the past several months. I admire your desire  to do almost anything to improve your mobility. I do hope you take Doctorb's advice and consult with a professional on expectations vs actual results prior to making such a life altering decision. Wishing you the best!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!