Chinaberry

Started by darrenjttu, March 27, 2011, 08:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrenjttu

Has any one ever milled this stuff?

ellmoe

Yes. Once. Cuts easy, nice grain.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

I have sawn it too.  Beautiful lumber.  It is in the mahogany family.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

And the slabs make good smoking wood.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Beautiful wood. A little on the brittle side with a tendancy to split along the very wide growth rings. Turns nicely when dried and makes really good looking platters. i didn't have much luck turning it green, slpits too easy.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

darrenjttu

Great! Looks like I will give it a shot.

pineywoods

Here's some examples. This log was exceptional. They don't usually get this large without being hollow.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dodgy Loner

Agreed with all of the above - I have about 100 BF from a tree I sawed up a couple years back that I need to find a use for. It really is some pretty stuff! I'd describe it as ash-like grain with the color of cherry.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

ely

i like it too, its makes me think of catalpa or ash in the grain of the wood.

WDH

I have had it split/separate at the wide growth rings, too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KyTreeFarmer

I've had some pretty good red whelps from the berries! When green they make excellent slingshot ammo. :D :D, but haven't had the opportunity to saw any.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

darrenjttu

Turns out it was hackberry

WDH

Not even close  :D.

pineywoods

Quote from: KyTreeFarmer on March 29, 2011, 01:37:04 PM
I've had some pretty good red whelps from the berries! When green they make excellent slingshot ammo. :D :D,
KTF

OH yeah  ;D China berry wars... The berries also make excellent ammo for what we called "pop" guns. Piece of bamboo with an airtight plunger.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

I don't remember ever sawing Hackberry, but there is plenty of it on my place.  A few big uns.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Hackberry is in the elm family.  It has interlocked grain.  Very very prone to warp and twist much like sweetgum.  It will gray stain if you look at it sideways  :).

Beautiful grain, though.

Magicman

Since I hate Sweetgum, know that Elm has a mind of it's own, I already don't like Hackberry.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: darrenjttu on March 29, 2011, 01:38:32 PM
Turns out it was hackberry

Hi darren,
I'm the feller that ID'd the hackberry for you over at WoodNet. Too bad, Chinaberry is much preferable to hackberry, for the reasons WDH pointed out. The Chinaberry I sawed dried quite well. I have only sawed one hackberry and it will probably the last one!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

ely

i like hackberry too. nothing like chinaberry or catalpa. when its spalted it is prettier than spalted sycamore.

LeeB

A couple ofchinaberry platters I turned and one of pecan.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

WoW!!  Those are pretty, LeeB.

WDH

Chinaberry sure makes for some fine platters!  Very nice, Lee.

Magicman

Very nice indeed.   :)

Chinaberry is related to the Mahogany family, plus the scraps make good smoking wood.   food6

Thank You Sponsors!