iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Use for scrap oak

Started by Brad_bb, August 06, 2008, 12:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I had handful of slabs of white oak from the outter portion of the logs a year or so ago.  They were about 1.875 thick, but had bowed some over time, some worse than others.  Well I've been using up this white oak over the past year for various projects, cutting to get some good boards for some door frame trim, and I build some bunk beds.  I still had scraps from either side of the slabs that had wane, or pieces that had some knots etc.  I have a hard time getting rid of wood that might be useable.  Then I needed some sturdy stakes for my vineyard, to help prop up some of the guide wires that were sagging heavily from grapes.  I took these scraps and made 5.5 feet long stakes about 1.5X1.5, most with some wane, cut some slots for the guide wires and  they work great for proping them up!

The point is, what might seem like scrap from oak slabs, may be good for making garden stakes, or better yet vinyard stakes.  You can place a piece of scrap underneath to keep it from rotting and then remove them in the fall after harvest and save them for next year.  I love using up everything and having as little waste as possible.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

crtreedude

You would be surprised how little scrap there is when you use your own wood for furniture. Cutting 8 foot pieces for doors for example seems pretty wasteful when you have doors less than that high (especially here).

We make lots of furniture that uses pieces, so much so that I generally can't find any scrap when I want any - it has all turned into furniture.

And wormy wood makes the neatest picture frames you ever saw!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

solidwoods

I make "The Sawmill shelf" from them.
Horizontal and vertical.
Prices from $5 - $100.
Some Sawmill shelves earn more than the kiln dried grade lumber in the rest of the log.

I also make outdoor furniture so I use my #3 for that (grubb holes, pith and all)
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Osric

can you post a picture of "The Sawmill Shelves"?  Are you just talking about those country themed shelves you see at craft shows or something else?

solidwoods

Its in my gallery.

I've tried for 10min to put a pic here.
Its real easy to put a usless smiley  face in a post, but to put a pic in I'd have to quit my day job to learn.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
N. Central TN.

thedeeredude

Here are your pics jim,

Right below where you can rate the picture there is a link that says

" Copy this photo directly to your forestry forum post".  All ya gotta do is click that link and the photo is automatically put into your post.

beenthere

Those shelves are neat.

As thedeerdude said, scrolling down below the photo to find the "post" line isn't real intuitive, if one is not sure what to do. A "click to post" button visible without scrolling would possibly help that hic-up.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

G-sawing

Hey Solidwoods, I think those are cool shelves. Do you air dry or build some green? what do you do with Big Yellow(the truck)?
Should you find your self in a fair fight, you're using poor tactics.

solidwoods

Thank you so much.
I wasn't clicking on the photo to show the " Copy this photo directly to your forestry forum post".  All ya gotta do is click that link and the photo is automatically put into your post.

I can report that all the other ways I tried just don't work no matter what I yell at the computer.

The Z shaped shelf (cat not included) is a black cherry log.
That log could be through cut to make 6-8 shelves or cut the outer boards (2-4) and leave a 4" cant in the middle for a curved bench.

The Oak is a 7" dia knot slab, not even #3, but $20. as a Sawmill shelf.

I put 2 metal keyhole hangers on the back .

The White pine is from a blued/wormy log, 8' long with a 7" good quality board for the shelf.  It is kiln dried and waterbased finish.

I also make sconces to go with the shelves.  These let the customer customize the shelves.  A square board can be added between the top of the sconce and the bottom of the shelf for a few more $.

Like these.  They are made from log centers, air dried.

ERC Sawmill shelf with white pine sconces .
If it were edged it would have made maybe 5" wide.

Other log center items
Candle holders

And lastly.  What to do with the wormy white pine and the bent forked oak log (the bottom of the bench is the pith so the log made book matched bench blanks in case someone wants matched benches).
The top is 2ea 18" wide boards, sheathing is t/g wormy white pine, corners are log centers with max grubb holes (qtr. of the dia is cut off to inset it), benches are cut in order from the same log so when put together they grain match.

Again thanks for the photo helps
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
N. Central TN.

solidwoods

They are air dried or kiln dried.
The log centers or anything for indoors I kiln dry and sterilize.
Big yellow is doing just fine and now has 9200 original miles.

If anyone is wondering what to get after they get a mill the answer is a knuckle boom truck.  It's as valuable as the mill.

And then a good shop cat.
Sawdust (Dusty)
Not a good pic but it shows another creation of late.
The checkout desk is Blued Yellow pine top with a built in night light.
The lit panels are Fat lighter (called rich pine around here).
It is yellow pine rich with pitch (used as fire starting sticks).
They are .125" thick with .125" Plexiglas behind them and set into a .25" dado.
I use florescent light behind them (low heat) on a timer and it lights up as a night light.

jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
N. Central TN.

OneWithWood

Very nice work, Solidwoods.  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

metalspinner

8) 8) I agree with OWW. 8) 8)

The light behind the fat wood is really neat.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!