iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Remote Wilderness Cabin at an Old Mine

Started by fred in montana, December 28, 2014, 08:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Are you notching the log ends after placing?  Curious as I've never built a log structure before.

Also, will you be cutting out the doors and windows once the walls get higher than the height of each?  And nailing in supports then?
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

sawguy21

I have never seen a stump stove, that is a neat idea. Great pictures, I am really enjoying this.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 01, 2015, 07:41:05 PM
I have never seen a stump stove, that is a neat idea. Great pictures, I am really enjoying this.

I'm currently making a stump stove.  Just planted the seedling last month.  How long until I'm able to use it?   :D
e aho laula

fred in montana

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Jim1611

Great pictures! I think you're living the dream many of us would like to pursue. If I could have a cabin like that in the middle of elk hunting country I'd feel like I was almost in Heaven!
"Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath."

Magicman

Thank you Fred for sharing your dream.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ozarkgem

who hasn't dreamed of doing what you are doing. Can you salvage any building materials from the old buildings? What are you doing for a roof?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Peter Drouin

Nice job you're doing. Too bad about all the dead Pine trees.  :(
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: ozarkgem on January 04, 2015, 06:57:47 AM
who hasn't dreamed of doing what you are doing. Can you salvage any building materials from the old buildings? What are you doing for a roof?

I believe the picture of the other buildings are on his neighbor's property, so not salvageable for his own use :-X
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fred in montana

QuoteAre you notching the log ends after placing?  Curious as I've never built a log structure before.

Yes, I am just setting the log up on the wall then making all cuts by eye with the chainsaw.

Unlike the other cabins I have built, I wanted this cabin to have round logs.

And as far as the building materials, I will not be able to use any from the other property.

I have pretty much posted all of my pictures from this fall. I won't get back up there until June so until then....
logdovetailjig.com

Troy Schon

Firewoodjoe

Brad_bb

Can you get water to the cabin using a gravity powered Ram pump? 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

fred in montana

Sorry I haven't posted anything yet this year yet.

I continued exploring and working on the cabin this summer.

Purely by accident while working on the cabin one day, I uncovered hand forged log dog. I was able to immediately put it to use>

Some pics of the progress from August..

More to come..
logdovetailjig.com

samandothers

Wow!  Great progress.  Enjoying the thread

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Can't remember if you mentioned a water source. The ground looks like sand.  :-\ Maybe it's sawdust.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Red Good

Did you cut all the floor on site as well ? Very cool deal , thanks for all the pics . Are you done for the winter now ?
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

scsmith42

Great thread; I'm not sure how I missed it before now.  Thanks for bringing us along on your journey.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

isawlogs

Many old logging camps around my hunting camp, very easy to give up a few hours poking around.

You now have a floor!!!  8)   What a great get away place you will have once finished!  :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

fishfighter

Now this is nice. It would drive me nuts not being able to get out there in the winter. ;D

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Go-fer-wood

Enjoyed following your progress, very interesting. I can spend hours digging around places like that. Waiting for more pics. Outstanding.
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Thank You Sponsors!