iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pettibone Rough Terrain Military Forklift

Started by jpgreen, February 05, 2006, 11:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

DanG

Mr. Hootie got one of those in a couple of weeks ago. It has an enclosed cab. I gotta go up there tomorrow, so I'll ask what he want's for it.  Looks to be in great shape!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

jpgreen

What interests me is the fact that not only are the articulating, they lean or are "ocillating" as well.  I think that is what they call "self leveling".

So if you were working on an incline, the level automaticly.  very cool.

For mountain folk that's a big plus. I think that machine would be an all around unit for my needs. I also need a rig that I can pull my shop trailers down our steep driveway incase I had to move them out quickly. 

I've got one that's a triple axle goose neck with a 24' Ryder van body I built for my metal shoptools, and it's weighing about 18,000 lbs. I'm thinkning now.

I wonder how low geared those monsters are?

Here's another cool link...

http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/

logwalker

Is that a telescoping boom? Looks like you could get some work done with it. LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

jpgreen

Yaw- they telescope.  Check out the pictures on the last link I posted.

3 speed auto trans which would be great if they had an extensive low gearing transfercase which they prolly do because they are 2 and 4x4 selectable.  Make a heeck of a snow plow too..  8)

I know a lot of places where logs are bout 20' off the road and down in a gully.  A winch rigged up on that boom would pull those puppy's up and I could carry em' home to my mill...  ;D

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: jpgreen on February 05, 2006, 12:18:27 PM
What interests me is the fact that not only are the articulating, they lean or are "ocillating" as well.  I think that is what they call "self leveling".

If you look closely, you will find that they are not articulating, but rather steer with either 2 wheels or 4.  This makes them more stable as you always have the wheels out at the corners.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

twoodward15

Not much ground clearance.  I don't know if you've ever driven any military vehicles before but we ( Iam in the military) aren't really known for putting the proper engine in vehicles.  We LOVE to underpower every vehicle we own so that you can't get the job done properly.  I've driven quite a few govt. forklifts and none of them have enough nads to get the job done properly.  It seems I always have my foot to the floor to get things done.  This causes another problem when you get in the mud.  if it aint got enough power it can't turn the tires.  if it can't turn the tires in the mud it's gonna sit there.  When you have a load of trees that you can't get out of the woods you can't make a buck which means you can't eat or get money to buy another more powerful forklift like you'd be wishing you bought in the first place.  Take it for a ride and see what you think about it's truly unbelievable amount of power.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D I remember those gloriously underpowered military vehicles too. The "deuce and a half" with the GM six and dual range hydramatic was frustrating off road.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

karl

Ive got the remnants of a Super 8 in the back 40- it weren't military but it WAS underpowered- 4 cyl continental engine-LIKED gas- it would suck a petroleum truck right off the highway and into our yard! but  couldn't haul a green unit of 16' up to the drying fields.
Hydraulics were incredible though- PO had broken the arms from lifting TOO MUCH off of trucks and flopping the ole girl over.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Warren

There has been a similar unit on ebay for the past several weeks.  Don't have the link.  But if you search on "wheel loader" and sort by price, it was around the $16K range.

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

DanG

Here's the unit Mr. Hootie has on hand.  He wasn't there, so I couldn't get a price.  His son-in-law said they have a 4-in-1 bucket for it, too.

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

jpgreen

How bout the power DanG?

Any comments there?  Looks pretty clean. I could do alot with one of those..  8)

Paul_H

That loader is much like my old MF55.It has the same type of forks on the front but also has a apron too for grabbing logs.It originally had a little Perkins but now has a 471.It has a two speed tranny lo/lower and has a combo brake and detente pedal as well as a brake pedal.

The brakes are air over hydraulic and were siezed but work well now.We paid  $8500 Cdn for it back in 2002.

I'm happy with it.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DanG

Can't tell ya about the power, JP.  I can say that it has some. ;) :D  It has a big ol' inline six diesel, and thats about all I know.

Just for size perspective, the floorboard is 6' off the ground.

jpgreen

Seems like all the Military Pettibones have 4 cyl detroits.

I think I've seen 1- 6 banger.  This Hootie one is a different model.  I think the call it a "milkin" er somthin' like that.

The thing that really interests me is the hydraulic leveling.  If they have enough power, that'll be the machine for me. I'm sure you can get more Hp out of the 471 with some modification.

jpgreen

Yeah- that's a much bigger model.  Prolly a little big for my needs.  I like the smaller Mil version..  :)

beenthere

Where is da elevator? on da other side?  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ARKANSAWYER

We had them in the 5th Engeener Bn. and they were noisy and that 6V53 could drink some fuel.   They are very heavy but well made so we soilder boys could not tear them up which is why they were a bit under powered.   Price seems a bit high.  Hour meter means nothing on them as we changed them all the time in the Army and I bet the records are not around for it.
  Now you just got to figure out how many more bdft more you are going to have to saw to pay for it.
ARKANSAWYER

Kelvin

Seems like a crazy amount of money.  I bet they paid less than $10k at the auction where they bought it!  Keep an eye out for state and federal auctions.  That machine may be smaller but i bet the weight is tremendous.  I'd rather buy a nice used 4x4 backhoe turbo diesel, and maybe for that price, a bobcat to go with it!  Then you could actually move the equipment around!  How about a telescoping 4x4 forklift?  The construction type.  i've seen them at auctions, though they  cost $80k+ new, there are a lot of used ones around.  If you need self leveling, for skidding i guess, for that price i would buy a used skidder.  You don't need self leveling if the center of gravity is where it is suppose to be.  Oh, well.  $22k is a lot of money, but i suppose some people have it.  Good luck... though i still think you could find one at some state auction before the dealers get their hands on it!
KP

jpgreen

I pretty much agree with you KP.

I'm not paying 22K.  I've seen them for much less.  I'm just trying to decide on what the right machine is for me, then I'll start beatin' the brush for one.

Living in the mountains limits the use of a bobcat, for us.  I've got a good amount of flat ground for this area, but them logs don't always sit where I need em to, and there is so much other work I can do that's on an incline.  Right on the edge of safety.

Some of the military Pettiebones have a substantial ROPs.

I could turn that military machine into a great multi purpose unit with four way bucket, bobcat attachtments, snow plow., etc., etc.  Plus I hoping I can use it for an emergency tow to get some of my trailers down on the road quick if I have to.

I love multi pupose stuff.. smiley_beertoast

jpgreen

Whoa Kelvin... That's an awesome house you're building!...  8) 8) :) 8) 8) 

I'm not familiar with skidders.  Can they be used on inclines? What types do that?

You're already off center of gravity on an incline, with or without a load, or no matter where you set the load.

ksu_chainsaw

I would like to have one of the M4K military forklifts.  They are both articulated and crab steering.  They are short enough to fit inside of a shipping container, and will lift 4000 lbs.  They were made by Case, with a 4 cylinder diesel.  They also have a tow-bar built into them, so you can tow them behind a vehicle.

wish I could get ahold of one of those.

Charles

Kelvin

jpgreen,
Thanks, the house is taking all my time these days.  Also trying to fix up and sell the old one.  Phew!  I need a break.
Skidders are what pro loggers use, you know Big tires, low center of gravity, winch on the back and blade on the front.  Excellent roll cages.  These are what full time loggers use and used ones come up.  Actually the cheapest thing to use on terrain might be a dozer with a loader on the front and winch on the back.  i've seen this very setup at auctions.  SEems the loader dozers aren't as desireable as the 6 way blades so they seem cheaper.  You can get excellent ROPS as well, low center of gravity, and a lot of mass!
Glad you aren't thinking of spending $22k on that one, makes me cringe.
KP

jpgreen

Quote from: DanG on February 08, 2006, 12:17:57 AM
Here's the unit Mr. Hootie has on hand.  He wasn't there, so I couldn't get a price.  His son-in-law said they have a 4-in-1 bucket for it, too.

DanG- that machine is a Military M6K  or Case MW24C made by case.  Saw a pic of another one just like it.  A beast fo sho..  ;D

DanG

That must be right, JP, since it say's Case on the back, and MW24C in foot high lettering on the side. :D :D 

Thank You Sponsors!