iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wildlife on the job

Started by jwilly3879, January 02, 2014, 05:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwilly3879

Some otters on the kettle pond taken by the landowner.

A young deer in the marsh

askhung

CCC4

That's awesome Willy! We have river otters but I have yet to see one alive, I have been coming to this area since 1980 and still have yet to see one. I was packing up the mountain the other morning early and saw something bounding away from me across the opposite hollar, looked like a solid black coyote or solid back red fox (never seen or heard of one of them before)...either one was neat to see.

Huskstihl

I had a tractor coyote last fall.  He'd shadow me, and disappear when I got out of the cab

JDeere

I didn't actually see it, but a trail camera where we were logging in Western Maine last winter got a picture of a wolf. The animal in the back is believed to be a coyote.

2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

jwilly3879

The otters are pretty neat, last winter I could see where they had been travelling and ever chance they got the slid down the hills.

JD that's a pretty big wolf, they are supposed to be in my area but I haven't seen one. Coyotes are all over and we can hear them behind the house quite often.

clww

That's odd that a wolf would permit a coyote to be that close.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ReggieT

Yes...that is rather odd behavoiur...unless they have some type of "arrangement!"  :D :D

CX3

Id say more likely a male and female wolf.  I doubt a wolf would tolerate a yote that close. 

Cool pics of otters too.  I guess Id have to snap them too.  But my snap would be a conibear lol
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

jwilly3879

Probably others think the same but the property we are cutting is a designated wildlife refuge area. Still hard to keep people from hunting there but more people are now using it to view the critters that live there.

Earlier this year a Great Horned Owl and a pair of eagles were photographed by a neighbor.

MUDDY

chain

Where three or more otter are gathered, you will soon not have any fish!

g_man

I have never seen an otter around here but once in a while see some slide marks in the snow near the brook.

Last May I was looking for a place to put a tractor road into some fir and found this fawn. Have no idea how I spotted it.
I took the two work pictures from the same spot.

Cleaned out the tractor road in June

Started cutting in November

pineywoods

Quote from: chain on January 03, 2014, 06:47:01 AM
Where three or more otter are gathered, you will soon not have any fish!

You got that right. A pair moved into my catfish pond. They wiped out the catfish population. I tried everything, traps, guns, neighbor caught them crossing the road and got both of them with his truck.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bobus2003

2 years ago had a couple mountain lions on our job, would see them walking around or spook them out while skidding. In the mornings I would find tracks and see where they were bedding down under the boom delimber.. figure cause it was a warm place.

Thank You Sponsors!