iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feeding of the deer

Started by thecfarm, December 30, 2018, 10:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Some call the Whitetail Deer "fast-food", but sometimes they're not quite fast enough!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

braucher

The state used to pick them up , then cover with wood chips and lately nothing .
Seems odd to do nothing  ???

Peter Drouin

Went up to look around they had the place all riped up. Melting snow with green something under it.
I see Mr. coon tracks out around the mill too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

gspren

Quote from: braucher on March 14, 2019, 04:40:34 PM
The state used to pick them up , then cover with wood chips and lately nothing .
Seems odd to do nothing  ???
In farm country the quickest way to get rid of road kill is to place out in an open field so the buzzards/vultures will land there and stay at it.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

We have a animal park about 20 minutes from me. He picks up all the road kills he can. Farm critters too.Dew Haven in Mt Vernon ME
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: gspren on March 15, 2019, 07:25:43 PM
Quote from: braucher on March 14, 2019, 04:40:34 PM
Seems odd to do nothing  ???
In farm country the quickest way to get rid of road kill is to place out in an open field so the buzzards/vultures will land there and stay at it.
Any that do get left around here typically will get covered in lime by the county workers. If you don't do something with them and just leave them lay your road kill amount grows with possums, coons, foxes, free ranging dogs, buzzards, hawks, eagles, etc. getting killed too. I like the idea of them going to a local zoo.

My BIL in Alaska used to work with a church group that would get called by the state troopers and such for fresh road kill moose and such and they would go harvest and butcher them and distribute the meat to the needy. I guess with the cooler temperatures up there they had a little more safe response time.

We have a Norwegian daughter (Former foreign exchange student) who has a certified search dog and the state sometimes calls her to go track down an injured animal. She can keep or sell the meat. In Norway to hunt you have to have or have access to a certified tracking dog so if you wound an animal you go get and put the dog on the track. The DNR equivalent lays a track of sheep blood or such with different degrees of difficulty, waits 24 hours then puts the dog on the track and it has to successfully follow the track then the dog gets certified.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

braucher

I have a Catahoula that is very good on blood trails old or new

Buds will be out soon and the deer will be happy  ;D
Have a good spring . It's been a long winter here in Ohio

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hilltop366

The deer seem to feed themselves here although my bil puts out some carrots during "hunting" season, last fall he dropped off several 50 lb bags and came back two days later to put them out in the woods, 1/2 the carrots were gone by then.

We had 14 deer in the yard on Sunday morning, the most I have seen at one time so far. I managed to get the camera and snap a picture before they moved to the field but can only see 13 in the picture.

braucher

Now is when deer start needing salt when they get a little woody fiber  ;D

Peter Drouin

Hi C farm, I went to check on the deer food on Saturday. Was empty thought the turkeys were eating it? So I went back to the house to get more food. When I got back 4 deer were standing there waiting for me.  :D
When I got out of the truck they ran off about 50 yards stopped and watch me fill the dish.
I set up a game camera to see who is coming to dinner. ;D
They look good, I have yet to see any new babies running around.
I hope all is well with you and family. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

All is fine here Peter. Deer are out in front of the house,in field,eating grass?? Still brown,but had 30 there the other night. I am still feeding, I have a few bags left and that will be it. I don't see much more than 20 pairs of eyes looking at me when I feed at night. Most times only 10. I only feed at night,but the turkeys will come and scratch and find food. 

Peter Drouin

Turkeys will eat all you put out if they can.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Came out for me to take a pix.

What do the think the bald spots are from?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Logger RK

Shedding its winter coat I think?

WV Sawmiller

They will be dropping fawns around here starting any day now. We've seen a couple of very pregnant does in our local travels. They are all looking pretty shaggy. In a month or so they will lose their brown winter coats and get red summer coats.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 26, 2019, 06:30:44 AM
Came out for me to take a pix.

What do the think the bald spots are from?
SHe looks like about 2 years old. Might have had a rough winter and not much to eat. I had a gal like this last spring and all summer that would come around while I was working and hang out and browse, sometimes on the same tops I was cutting while I was cutting. Never came closer than a dozen feet. She was looking a little frowzy when we first met and I worried about her, but she plumped up in a few weeks and still looks good. She was hanging around me for about 45 minutes as I was bucking firewood Tuesday evening until a big buck came along, took exception to my presence and scared her off along with his harem. She should come around when the food improves hopefully.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

The deer are done eating the food that I put out. I saw at least 5 set of eyes when I went to feed them. In the morning most of the feed was still there. More for the turkeys.  ;D  Only have one bag left. Have not seen them in the field the last 2 nights. 

braucher

The deer are done eating whatever you put out food wise but they need salt now to help digest all the woody fiber they are eating . 

Peter Drouin

They went through 40lb of whole corn in 7 days, I put out another 40lbs.

Had them all winter. 
Some times they run through the mill yard with customers here. :o :o :D :D :D :D 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

I put out a trace mineral block,50 pound. I used the white one,but that sticks out like a sore thumb. :)  I like to put it on a stump. The salt goes into the stump and all the animals can dig at the stump to get the salt.

Peter Drouin

Some say the deer will fight when close together eating. In the pics they look like they are getting along.  ;D

Have not seen a bear yet.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

The deer that I feed will fight. But I have 50 coming at one time. That is why I feed in a long line,50-75 feet long. And they still will be on thier hind legs with the front feet going.
I have not seen a bear,but the bear and the post for the bird feeder met a bear 2 nights ago. :D  Post is up right again. The bear only bothers the feeder for a few weeks. Than things will start to grow in the woods for them to eat. Never had a problem with bears and my feeder until a few years ago.

clww

Quote from: braucher on March 13, 2019, 07:41:40 AM
I am noticing more road killed deer this year .
Anyone else seeing this or maybe I am looking more
I am in northeast Ohio
I've noticed a lot more this fall and winter, 18 into 2019, during my travels of the lower 48.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!