iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sassafras

Started by Randy, June 01, 2005, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

Question-----Around my farm in places, edge of field/edge of woods is ALOT(100's) of small sassafras tree's/bushes started growing this year maybe last, none over waist high, but I can't find a "Mother Tree" no where. My g-friend also has them at her wood edge with no sign of a mother tree-----she lives 30 air miles away. Am I missing something here? What You Pro's Think?? Thanks Randy

Ianab

I dont know about sassafras specifically, but the seed appear to be small fruit (drupes) that birds would eat. The seeds then get dumped as the bird goes about it's business. Could be a mile from where it ate them. Trees like oak and walnut with much heavier seeds dont get spread very far, so you will see a 'mother tree' nearby.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

Yep, and I don't wanna see the bird that could pass one of them black walnuts.  ;D
Noo siiir reee!!!!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

populus

Pretty good, Ian, for a guy who lives 5000 miles away from the nearest sassafras! 

Ian't right. Sassafras seeds are easily spread by birds. Once a single plant is established, root sprouts can quickly mulitply the number of stems. The parent tree could be miles away.  Bluejays have been known to transport acorns 200 miles!

SwampDonkey

But, I will say that oak can be carried a long way by moose, because my woodlot is 2 miles as the crow flies from the nearest stand of wild red oak and there were never any red oak on my woodlot before it was harvested 10 years ago. Now I have quite a number of red oak saplings that I try to keep track of by GPS. ;D

Red oak and the elusive Moose

;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!