iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping Lumber to Canada?

Started by oakiemac, July 12, 2006, 12:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

I got an order to ship about 750bf of cherry, oak, walnut to B.C. I got a shipping quote that was acceptable to the cusotmer. My question is that I have never shipped out side the US before and am worried about hidden custom charges and such. I was told a couple of years ago that hardwood lumber is not taxed because of NAFTA but I'm not 100% sure this the case or not.
Anyone have any input or know anything about this?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

dundee

Hi oakei, strongly suggest you contact your local Customs Agent for advise
Richard

sawguy21

Check the Yellow Pages under Customs Brokers. Talk to several before deciding on which one to deal with as not all of them are on the ball. Trust me on this ::).
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

submarinesailor

Hey Oakie,

You can ask the US Customs Service questions at their web site.  Here's the link: US Customs Service Q/A.  Your questions may have been asked in the past.

Bruce

Don_Papenburg

Is that like the IRS hot line ? you ask a Q and they give an A ,but if their A is wrong its your falt you pay the piper.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

submarinesailor

Don,
All I can say is that my wife has worked for Customs for a long time and ever time I ask a question.  She goes to this Q/A site for the answers.  The good thing is, it/she has never been wrong.  I think Customs is one of the Federal agencies that gets it right – not like their bosses "DHS".

Bruce/subsailor

oakiemac

I got in touch with the broker that the shipping company works with and they sent me a bunch of forms. I have to pay a GST tax of around $100 and a brokerage fee of $150. The customer has agreed to pay this but what worrys me is if this is all in the up and up. Also they want my fed tax id # which in my case is my social and a credit card#. I have heard of a lot of different scams so I want to proceed with caution.
Sawguy21-does all this sound like normal procedure?
Bruce-I will call that number but my main issues are Canadian tax and brokerage fees something customs will not really deal with.

Steve
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

oakiemac

No one in this forum has shipped lumber to or from Canada??

Come on someone has to have done it before. I need some advice.

sawguy21

Sounds like the normal procedure for GST and the brokerage fee. I don't know why your federal tax id is required unless it is for income tax purposes.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

oakiemac

Thanks for the links Kevin. I just filled out a short form power of attorney, Canadian invoice, and Nafta paper work. I had no idea it would take this much red tape.
I can just imagine shipping something to Europe. ::)

Thank You Sponsors!