iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Saw Comparisons: Husqvarna 543XP to Echo CS 361P to Stihl MS 241 CM

Started by kantuckid, January 09, 2016, 04:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

I'm currently looking online at these two new saws. The Echo has almost a $100 less MSRP and the Husky gets discounted more in my looks so far. Both are fairly similar in size and features.
My search is centered on a lighter, easier to start, "senior saw" that also offers some features (power, metal dog,etc.) above the DIY level of several cheaper saws out there.

If you have specific knowledge of these two choices please share,thanks.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SawTroll

To me those models doesn't look comparable at all. The differences in power and weight just are too large, and the cc is quite different as well.

That Echo looks more like a competitor for the Husky 439 (rear handle version of the T435) - not for the 543xp.

Information collector.

kantuckid

The Husky 439 must be a Euro saw as it comes up in searches in Norway speak.
I see that the top handle Huskies are close to same cc.'s as the new Echo saw. I also know there is 1.5 pounds difference in the saws I asked about, as do I know that ones 43cc.'s, while the Echo's 35.8..  I passed math & reading class...
What IS the same is the fact that they are both touted as new saws in their respective lineups that offer relatively light weight yet decent power and features. One dealer told me the price point will keep the Echo saw out of their showroom(poor area of E KY) as people will buy the cheapo saws ($200+) everytime and the loggers will buy bigger saws-which I already have and not my pleasure nowdays. I have decided a top handle saw's not my best choice either, in spite of several pro saws with lightweight in the marketplace.

Another saw I'm adding to my two original considerations is the Stihl MS 241 CM. The saw has good reviews from techs, heavy users after a light, powerful saw. It's about the same weight as the Husqvarna new saw.

I would like to find an out of state Echo dealer selling at discounted prices on a websale? None of my local Echo sources are servicing dealers, sales only and non stock item too!

So any comments from the gallery? ;D

gspren

I'd like to run a broken in MS241, the few people that I've talked to that actually ran them were impressed. Some saws just feel better than the numbers would reflect and I'm told that's the case with the 241 although I won't know for sure till I run one.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sweetjetskier

Of the saws listed from the OP, the Stihl 241 is the standout!  I have roughly 10 tanks through it and is a rip roaring little 42cc powerhouse.

It starts, runs and cuts very well, think 200T snappy acceleration, nimble, easy on fuel also.

The biggest complaint I have heard of is staring problems. One needs to read the owners manual, new M-tronic saws have a little different starting procedure. With that being said, I have no hesitation recommending the 241.

Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

346xp

I'm with you the 241 is a great saw as is the 421,but the 543xp not so much and i'm a husky guy. 8)

gfadvm

I researched small/lightweight saws before I bought my Echo CS400 6 years ago. It was the best 'bang for the buck' in my opinion. I have never been sorry I bought it. It is the easiest starting/ most reliable saw I've owned in 40 years. It cost $300 then and the price is still the same !!!

starmac

I can't offer anything on any of the saws listed and this is my opinion and mine only.
I would personally handle and get the feel of any of the saws you are interested in, run it if you can, but at least see how it feels to you.
On another site, where all the chainsaw expert hang out some certain (cheaper brands) are toutrd by many as if not the best, at least equaling the best on the market, most certainly the best bang for the buck.
One of these that was a size i'm interested in was several dollars cheaper than the comparable saw in either stihl or husky, so I sought one out. Talked to a couple of loggers I know that have tried them out, but no longer use them. Anyway I finally put my hands on one, I can't say how good or reliable it was or is, but if felt and balanced like a brick in my hands.
I would never order a saw online that I had not at the very least put my hands on. If I had of ordered the one I was interested in, even with all the rave reviews, even if it was the most reliable saw ever built, I would have been severely disappointed in my decision.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

sweetjetskier

The other saw I have in the photo is a Dolmar 5105 H, which is a really nice saw also. It is a powerful saw, balances well with a 16" B/C and runs 3/8 chain with ease.

Great one plan firewood saw, at a good price point. A little heavy for its size, but it is built with quality and durability in mind, for me the trade off in weight is a non issue.
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

ladylake

Quote from: gfadvm on January 10, 2016, 09:46:14 PM
I researched small/lightweight saws before I bought my Echo CS400 6 years ago. It was the best 'bang for the buck' in my opinion. I have never been sorry I bought it. It is the easiest starting/ most reliable saw I've owned in 40 years. It cost $300 then and the price is still the same !!!

Have too agree, I must own 30 or 40 saws but you wont catch me cutting without a Echo CS400.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kantuckid

Weirdly I wrote this earlier and it doesn't post to the thread? WHY?

I've located a discounted price on the Echo saws and weight-wise am attracted to the Echo CS-361P. I'm gonna pick up some similar saws @ a local Echo dealer tomorrow if they carry them-the top handle in same engine or 310/352 are close in weight. I'd pay their sales taxes if they match the web price just to have a fall back dealer-they don't service the brand-just sales.
The Stihl choice is in keeping with my last 20+ yrs of Stihl use. I did see a lightly used 241 for $350 out of state. (about the same price as a new echo 361) To buy as a fixer saw the 241 is a tough find IMO. I gain several pounds downward with the Echo and ~ 1.5#'s or so with the other two saws and the echo 400 mentioned above is close in weight so I'll heft on of those too to compare.
In reading about the Echo chain the 361 saw comes with 91PXL but can also do Oregon's 91VXL for more aggressive chain.

rburg

I think I have read that the cs 361 is a rear handled version of the top handle cs 355.

kantuckid

That's correct on the Echo. I have a concurrent thread on the other forum if you like this topic. Guy there from Austria said the 543 is a Japanese saw built by a company that Husqvarna bought and he's a husky guy and says they are junky saws in comparison to other huskies.
I was also told there to look into an "easy start system"-I'm assuming that means the newer saws that advertise such, like Stihl & Echo? 

snowshoveler

The Husky 543 is built in Japan so that would make it a Redmax design.
It is a very tight saw and takes a while to loosen up and work right.
We sell them to surveyors and Christmas tree folks.
They love them. Nothing else in that weight class will cut anywhere near them.
The last saw that ran like that was  husky 242 and those have been gone for 15 years.
The Echo is a good saw and we sell them too but they have nothing that will run with the 543.
The Stihl mentioned above is heavier and so is a Dolmar.
Like I say it takes at least a day to break in the 543 and maybe even 2 or 3 in some cases but every one we sold has a very happy owner and most of them already have a 550 or larger husky.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

hacknchop

I have found my echo to be a reliable easy starting saw, it gets used mainly around the sawmill and cutting smaller 16" and under firewood.  :)
Often wrong never indoubt

SawTroll

Quote from: snowshoveler on January 11, 2016, 09:13:13 PM
The Husky 543 is built in Japan so that would make it a Redmax design.

The saw is made by Zenoah, that is owned by Husky.

Redmax is just a brand name that Zenoah has been using for marketing in the US, the true brand name is Zenoah.

You have several good points - but I am one of those that was disappointed when the 543xp turned out to be a Zenoah, and not a true Husky.

Information collector.

kantuckid

I couldn't remember the Z word,thanks.
FWIW & conversation, I have a Redmax 3100T, 12" saw-their smallest one, that I bought for use as a one handed ladder,climbing saw. It's made in Italy and though a bit plasticky for my taste it fills the purpose for which I bought the saw very well. I've had it over 5 years and was bought NIB on fleabay cheap enough. I see the dry weight (7.6no bar) is not much less than the Echo saws I've been slurping over! Even nowdays, I can easily start the little red saw with an "in the air jerk" like old times for my bigger saw. It has never had an issue of any kind except a slightly bent bar when new and threw chains until warranty placed a new bar on it. Little chains & bars are finicky indeed! It has limited use and not a woods saw by any means.
Echo gets a look today on a doc visit trip to town.

snowshoveler

Sawtroll...I have been living in Canada for 50 plus years and I don't shop in the US... HA HA. Redmax was available in a lot of places besides the US market.
Redmax Zenoah and Komatsu were all the same until Husky bought out their small engine division.
With out a doubt they have their finger in the Komatsu pot by now as well. Husky's parent company I mean.
Redmax patented some pretty good ideas that were around while we still were young and perky.
I will stick with my point that the 543 is a good saw if you are needing a small saw.
If your blocking up 2 foot hardwood for your furnace, step up and get a grown up saw.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

DonnerParty

in that size range, I would go with Echo or Stihl. The Echos seem to be, generally, easier to start when cold, but the Stihls in that range really rip for their size and weight.

ladylake

And a Echo CS400 tuned good with the muff opened up more than really rips. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

Quote from: snowshoveler on January 12, 2016, 04:57:45 PM

I will stick with my point that the 543 is a good saw if you are needing a small saw.
If your blocking up 2 foot hardwood for your furnace, step up and get a grown up saw.
Regards Chris

I'm sure it is a good saw - it just isn't what I expected a Husky xp to be at this point.

As far as I know, Husky bought Zenoah from Komatsu in 2006/2007 - but more may have happened, that I don't know about....
Information collector.

snowshoveler

Hi again Sawtroll
I will have to say your one of the best informed saw guys around and I don't think you miss too much.
If you can grab yourself a 543 for a day or 3 you might keep it.
I think you already have more than a few saws already...sort of like I have more than I need but it's so hard to part with them.
Your correct about it not being like an earlier or even present XP saw. That is part of what sells them now. They are different and perhaps an alternative to some other saws.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

kantuckid

Today i got my hands on a cold instore Stihl 241-was at a newish store 35k from me called Rural King a TSC type of place but larger. The new MSRP on the stihl is $620. I picked up a few echos but not the specific ones I think I like. I went in a TSC and really like the Jonsereds for price & specs!!! I read one review (Chainsaws.com) guy said he liked the CS 2240 until he found out it was made by Poulan, then he bought the 2245 & reviewed it as a good limbing saw. The label on the saw clearly says made IN! Husqvarna, Sweden. The TSC  store mgr said Husqvarna bought out the old Jonsereds chainsaw stuff and resurected the line with what are supposed to be new saws that don't equate straight over to the Husqvarna line of saws. All i looked at were made in Sweden saws.
I'd like to hear from TSC/Jonsered saw commenters?

Update! As of late last night(as in late for an old fart) I got a deal on a used but hardly used MS 241 C I'd been onto. Be a few days before I get it. Funny how old guys like me get ecstatic over an object like a chainsaw?  :D That saw has the original edge on original chain but paints scratched on the bar some.
Plans are to "get" some PS3 chains, I've been told a 7 pin rim sprocket too.
Saw muffler "gills" on the other saw place.
I've been told those funny little star looking thingies on the muffler face are covers for T27 fasteners. It's a pawnshop saw, started on 2nd pull after months in pawn, then the guy "discovered" it had a decompression valve after hard starting it.  :D  Said it starts better than any they've sold.
I'm sure open to ideas for the saw: chain,OE bar is 16",etc.? Did I say I don't like tool-less caps! ::) My Stihl blower, gas cap lasted couple years.

zimraphail

I cant speak for the echo you are looking at! I bought a new cs 590 timberwolf and it has been a awsome saw so far! plentty of power esy to start etc! I bought it because assembled in the USA In illinois,boo! But besides illinois the Kioritz Powerheads have been around for years! So far for the cc class saw it is its a bull! I still prefer my old Jonsereds saws but gotta grow someday! jonsereds is gone! Husky, just isnt the same from what I see?
 I guess I better add My newest of 4 Jonsereds is maybe a 1986 model! Older the better!

sawguy21

This thread is four years old, he has probably made his decision by now. ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!