iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What can I do with all these pears?

Started by Modat22, October 07, 2009, 03:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I've got a pear tree in my back yard loaded, two pear trees in my neighbors yard loaded (He lets them rot) and I have no idea what I can do with them. I was thinking about dehydrating some but I'm not sure what I could use those for ether.

Any ideas?

Sorry if I'm off the topic here but figured a recipe or three would pop up  :D
remember man that thy are dust.

Radar67

Making preserves or jelly comes to mind. There are several recipes listed on here for those.

With dehydrated, you could use them as part of a trail mix.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Tom

Make Pear butter.  It's like Apple butter.  :D

I made some pear syrup this year.  I have a centrifugal juicer.....as seen on TV ;D   I juiced a bunch of pears (skin, seeds, stems and all) and put a quart of juice into a pot, added two cups of sugar and the juice of two limes (one would have been enough).   Then I brought it to a boil and reduced it (skimming the foam) until the juice started forming a "sheet" (rather than just drops) as it was poured from a spoon.  Not to the point of forming strings. (it reduced to a little better than 1/2 left)

Then I put it in a jar and covered it with aluminum foil until it cooled (There was no need to seal it, I planned to eat it.)

I put some on waffles...... it was wonderful.   I put some on pancakes..... It was still wonderful.  I put some on French Toast and you would have to pay a $100 to get that taste in a Restaurant.

Then I put the remainder, after about a week, in the refrigerator because I was afraid it would go bad.   Because I made so little of it, I've been real stingy and it's still as good today as it was when I made it two months ago.

The neat thing is that I could have put the  pulp from the juicer into a pot, added some water, brown sugar and cinnamon and I'll bet it would have made some good pear butter without my having wasted anything.   I'll have to try that next year.

ohsoloco

Pear butter sounds pretty good  :)  Make up some simple syrup and can some of them...spice 'em up with some cloves.   

If'n I had several trees like that, I'd make perry.  Throw in some priming sugar and bottle it in beer bottles.  Mmmm, sparkling perry.

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pasbuild

Id give them to my buddy Jim to make wine,  8) he makes very good wine
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Magicman

Pear preserves.  We share with the neighbors. This old tree was planted by my Mom 72 years ago.... :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

QuoteId give them to my buddy Jim to make wine,  8)  he makes very good wine
Jim was a bullfrog too?   

Radar67

Tom, I think it was Jeremiah who was the bullfrog.  ;) I don't know where Jim comes in to play...oh, Jim is the guy you don't mess around with, just like not tugging on Superman's cape, not spitting in the wind, or pulling the mask off the Lone Ranger.  :D ;D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Modat22

My pears are so hard they'd shatter a windshield. They look like bartletts, taste sweet, but fall like bricks.
remember man that thy are dust.

Magicman

The only thing hard about mine is trying to eat them and keep the juice from dripping off of your elbows.... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

We love the red skinned Bartletts but they need to be fully ripened.
Pasbuild has the right idea.  ;D Pear wine is a real treat. A former boss would fortify his with the alcohol he skimmed off another wine he didn't care for. He placed the poor stuff in baking pans in the freezer then skimmed it off. The resulting brew was best drank slowly.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!