iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My little yard sale find

Started by Piston, November 05, 2011, 04:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

My wife and I went apple picking a few weeks ago and on the way home, we stopped at a yard sale.  We were looking around didn't see a whole lot we were interested in.  They had some tables setup with some random junk inside the garage, or at least seemed it to us.  I noticed this old clamp hanging on the wall that wasn't for sale, asked the nice lady if she'd sell it, and after checking with the husband she told me he'd sell it for $10. 

Nothing special, but I liked the way it looked and felt nice and heavy in my hand.  The crank works great and every thing is free to move as it should, seems like it's in good shape.  I thought it had a lot more character than my Lowe's special.  ;D

I don't know much about old tools but I always love finding them.   ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Ironwood

Nice, I have found looong clamps in old foundries locally, some 14' out of 1/2 bar stock. I chop them off and keep the end piece to weld back on incase a have a BIG job.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Texas Ranger

I have two of those clamps, and other than heavy, work very well.  I have taped the surface that hits the wood, they will cause iron stain.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

CHARLIE

Nice find! A shop can't have too many clamps.  This past summer if the day was real nice, I'd get on my motorcycle and play, "Wonder where this road goes?"   It took me all day to end up in Turtle Lake, Wisconsin.  I decided to find a place for a short wobbley pop but saw an antique store instead.  The bike just turned into the parking lot.  Now, I don't use 'C' clamps much with my woodworking but there on a wall were two old 3" 'C' clamps in great shape and made in the U.S.A. for $2 each. They are now in my shop.  :)  What a find!  8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Piston

You reminded me of the last C clamp I used.  I had a few welds break on my landscape rake and it was starting to 'bow' at the ends, so I wanted to weld it back up but didn't have a heavy duty C clamp to hold the two pieces together while I welded it.  I thought I could get away with large vice grips but figured what the heck, I need a couple C clamps anyways.

So off I go to Lowe's to buy myself a C clamp, figured I'd just buy one in case I don't like it (as if C clamps are all that involved anyways :D)  It was either a 6" or 8", don't remember off the top of my head.  Well sure enough I tighten it up, and barely start getting into it so the two pieces are slowly coming together, not even really putting any muscle into it yet and SNAP!  The DanG C clamp breaks in two!  ARRGH!  I hate buying junk.   >:(

Now I keep my eyes open for some old, used and abused, quality made, and heavy duty clamps. 

Charlie,
Those are the kind of rides I like, just wandering around aimlessly and see what you find, next thing you know you've ridden all day long but your only 30 miles from home.  I still find roads in my own town that I've never been on before. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!