iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dinning Table

Started by Bill Gaiche, November 15, 2011, 09:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

Just finished our dinning table.  96"x42". Has two 16" leaves. Red Oak with Golden Brown stain finished with 4 coats of Deft polyurethane. Chairs were purchased at our local Amish furniture store. Tree was cut from neighbors yard, air dried then finished in Solar kiln. Now I am ready for Thanksgiving diner. bg

ARKANSAWYER

Bill that is a fine looking table.  Bring on the bird and fixings.
ARKANSAWYER

WDH

Wow, that looks great!  That should handle a big family perfectly  8).  Nothing like the satisfaction of milling, drying, and building a piece out or your own lumber.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jasperfield

Now, that's really nice. The finished product never reflects the efforts to overcome production's difficulties.

When all are seated for the first meal; Maybe you'll say the Lord's Prayer.

pigman

That is a great looking table Bill and the chairs are a perfect match.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

CHARLIE

Bill, that is one fine looking table.  I'd say that is ready for a full sized banquet! Very nice and I like color too. I'll bet that table will become a family heirloom.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Radar67

That is a really nice table Bill. Great job. :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

CHARLIE

And.....I forgot to mention something else.  It is neat to have something that you know exactly where the tree grew.  It is neat to have something that you started with the log and made the boards.  Beats the heck outta going to the store and buying boards. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SwampDonkey

That's is very nice and heavy.  ;D  :) You did an awesome job. That turkey will taste all that much better.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

T Welsh

Bill Gaiche, Very good job!!!!!!! it is very nice. Tim

Burlkraft

Nice job Bill  8) 8)

Looks like it'll work!   ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

Only problem I see is the fighting amongst your children on who gets to inherit it.  ;)

metalspinner

QuoteNow I am ready for Thanksgiving diner.

The big question now is are you going to cover it wit a table cloth? :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Bill Gaiche

metalspinner,  hope this answers your question in some way. And there will be more table ornements added later. Wives have there ways you know. Thanks guys for the nice coments, They are appreciated. bg

hackberry jake

I was expecting "table cloth? Aren't those the things you put on ugly tables?"  It's almost a shame covering up such awesome work. I can see the protection factor coming into play, but oak and poly are both tough. Very nice table, love the tapered legs.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

Before putting on that plastic, I'd be sure the poly is well cured. Might get a bit sticky if covered so quickly. I'd enjoy the beauty of the wood until the time all gather around and then cover it :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

metalspinner

:D :D

She put a lot of thought into that table cloth. :D

One thing we did for the table I built was to buy a table pad. We use it when the kids are doing projects or we have the scouts over for meetings, etc. Ours is a custom size, but it was not all that expensive. They will even make custom shapes if you send them a template.  I think our pad is "walnut" color. :D

Sorry, but I don't remember the online source we used.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Now that we have switched gears to coverings.... Mom's uncle made is own pad out of leather. He was a fur trapper, skinned other's furs and was used to working with hides and leather. The covering was a cherry red and it folded for storage. It was used when the dining table became a card table (Auction 45).  When he played, he didn't just toss the cards, but often brought his hand down with the card and his ring would strike the table, thus the pad idea to keep the the table surface from being marked. Action 45 was a favorite winter evening pastime for that generation, followed by a late night lunch with tea. My grandmother was a card shark. :) :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jamesamd

Good story SD!
Bill that is an awsome piece of work,well done!
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Bill Gaiche

Table cloth is cotton and is just being readied for Thanksgiving. The wife loves doing this stuff and I have to admitt she does a good job of it. She had it before I was finished. The photo below is what she came up with. 

It has been removed untill next Wednesday. Should be dry enough to handle Thanksgiving day.

beenthere

You both do very nice work. Looks very inviting and Happy Thanksgiving.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I sure wouldn't mind sitting down to dinner at that table. Table drapery and dinnerware look perfect to me and I'm sure I'd be just as eager as the rest for the much anticipated feast with one of those napkins on my lap.  ;D

WildDog

Great job on the table Bill,  :) perfect match for the chairs and table cloth ;)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

WDH

Bill,

Did that table get a proper workout this Thanksgiving?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Nice table. My wife does the same thing to ours. But ours is a store brought one. :( Mine would look like a Pa kettle table if I made it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lud

Nice looking table!

ack before I got my little sawmill, about 15 years ago,  I built our 12' dining table out of walnut from a log I'd dropped here at the farm and which my brother's father-in-law  had sawed at an Amish sawmill .  He was my friend and we stacked the wood up in the top of the barn for ten years or so before he passed.  I spoke at his funeral about our woodworking together and how he was after me to mirror match those walnut boards into a table.

So , I used the woodburning pen on the underneath side  to dedicate the table to him , telling the whole story of where the wood came from, where it was cut and dried and capturing the whole provenance of the table.  It will be a family heirloom and the facts will never get away. So turn that table over and capture the facts for your descendants!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Magicman

Wow Bill, I missed this.  What a wonderful way to enjoy Thanksgiving on your own craftsmanship.  And for many more Holidays and years to come.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TreeWinder

Want to see the turkey on the table...   very nice
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

Riggs

Beautiful Table, and Lud, thats a really good idea.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Thank You Sponsors!