iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lines in Walnut

Started by Brad_bb, January 07, 2019, 01:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I've seen this on multiple occasions sawing Walnut.  These lines that appear like Ray lines in oak, but there doesn't appear to be solid fleck like in oak.  You can see there is a pattern or change of direction of the grain.  Are these rays or perhaps curl in the grain?

<b
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

I see it, but not sure what to call it.  Maybe Gene Wengert could chime in.  I have a finished slab of walnut along side some maple with lots of "rays".  It really adds to the interest of an already beautiful wood.

The wood is smooth and finished with poly.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

bkaimwood

I see it. Doc's pic is definitely curl, so doc has curly walnut. Have seen and had quite a bit of it. It brings more $$ than plain walnut without much trouble to the right buyer. Brad's pic is a bit harder to see, but it also looks to be curl, just not as tight and more isolated. A splash of water on there may show it a bit better...
bk

Magicman

There will be a sorta purple line (layer) between the dark heartwood and white sapwood.  Sometime it will be very distinct and sometime not, but it will be there.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Yes, curl.  Not rays.  The rays in walnut are very small.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Yes, it appears to be curly walnut to me, as well.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

moodnacreek

In my experience curly walnut is rare and only a few poor examples have I sawn.

samandothers

Is there something in particular that causes curl?

moodnacreek

If the bole of the tree in the woods, is suddenly exposed to sun light is can sucker. As the forest heals and blocks the sun light , the suckers die but this has changed the grain pattern. Not all trees do this . This is called epicormick branching or burling.  Common in maples. [pitch pine does this also]

Brad_bb

I could be curl.  My boards are rough sawn on the bandsaw.  Once planed, it would be easy to tell if it's just curl.  I've had a lot of walnut with mild curl, that is, it's faint, and then walnut with curl in specific areas.  It is sweet though when you come across one that is heavily curled.  I've got some brace stock pieces with heavy curl.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

Well. lets go Brad, get it planed and lets see it!!! 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

I believe curl is a distortion of the cambium.  What causes it?  Who knows. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

I found two words in @moodnacreek 's post interesting:  "bole" and "notches".  I learn something every day. Thanks for the post. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

moodnacreek

Sixacresand, My post about the figuring of walnut is what I think causes it, not 100 percent sure. Sawing buy the notches is a yankee term because the lane [and other new England sawmills] had an indexing system notched in the setworks wheel. When I got a Lane the oldtimers would say: now your sawen by the notches!        Lane once made a Dixie special sawmill that had belt feed and side operating dogs as opposed to the friction feed and screw dogs wanted in the northeast.  Thanks for the complement, Doug

BenTN

I've always thought curl was a result of compression. Whatever causes it, it is for sure pretty

WDH

The cambium makes wood on the inside and bark on the outside.  Curl is where the cambium puts down wood on the inside where the longitudinal alignment of the cells is squirrely.  This change in longitudinal alignment of the wood cells is what your eye sees as curl. 

FLPINERAT

Sure makes pretty turkey pot calls :)

Not that rare in walnut, find a good bit of it.

Straight from a mill, wetted.

moodnacreek

Getting fiqured  wood from the stump or crotch is normal and great for small stuff. Getting full length [8' +] is what is wanted and rare. Bird's eye walnut trees exist somewhere.

busenitzcww

Quote from: moodnacreek on January 07, 2019, 08:20:27 AM
In my experience curly walnut is rare and only a few poor examples have I sawn.

<

Client brought their own wood from their farm for a dinning table. Would love to get my hands on some more of it.

dbroswoods

That is a beautiful piece of Walnut would like to have a truck load of that.

Mark

OffGrid973

Based on the grain pattern and what looks to be stress gaps, I would say nothing you can do.

Appreciate the distance between, dial it in to be consistent and enjoy those marks. Kind of like the worm holes that make us giddy when we get down to that layer !
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

PA_Walnut

Looks like curly to me. It's MUCH more rare in walnut, than maple, but can be similar.
The figure is usually broad and wide, like cherry.

Fiddleback, or tight curl is super-rare. Many many thousands of BF of walnut and I only ever had this once.
It's in my private-reserve stash. Some have asked and I reply, "You can not afford it."  ;D :D

5/4 wide stock with spectacular curl and color.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!