iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ticks

Started by LeeB, June 05, 2008, 08:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

The ticks are horrindous here, I can't use the deet formulas too well nor the skintastic. Any home remedies out there?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dodgy Loner

DEET and skintastic are pith poor tick repellents.  Spray your clothes with 0.5% permethrin and let them dry.  Be sure the places where they can get to your skin - collar, sleeves, waist, and ankles - are well-coated.  You won't have too much trouble with ticks after that. 
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Fla._Deadheader

The one thing I really fear. Doctors won't have a clue what is wrong, if you get "Tick Fever". It's NOT "Rocky Mtn. Spotted". It's TULAREMIA, or Rabbit Fever. I used Sergeants Flea and tick powder on my clothes. Tried to not get it on bare skin. Seemed to help a lot.

Visual inspections are NECESSARY, especially on the young'un's.

I found one here, recently ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

They have ticks in Costa Rica too?!?!  :D

jim king

My wife brought home a stray dog so weak that it could not walk the other day and it had thousands of ticks on it and died from lack of blood before she could get it cleaned up and on IV´s.

They look to me exactly like the ones in Northern Wisconsin.

Roxie

I found this recipe:

A good homemade recipe tick repellent for on your clothes and your pets follows (from the USDA forest service):

2 cups white vinegar
1 cup Avon skin so soft bath oil
1 cup water
1 tablespoon eucalyptus oil.
Put this mixture in an old spray bottle. No guarantees but it works for some with success.
Say when

Coon

We have scads of them around here right now.  They seem to be in the long grass for the most part.  A couple of days ago I had 14 of them on myself.  Most of them were just crawling on me but I did have a few that already had their heads buried in.  I use a red hot needle to get them to back out most of the time.  Salt works too.  Just remember if they have their head buried in make sure when you remove them that they ttake a chunk of skin with them.  This ensures that the whole head comes out.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Radar67

I've always tucked my pant leg into my boots (lace up type) when I'm in the tick woods. I also use the permethrin or deep woods off on my clothes. A good visual inspection of 100% of your skin is required, when you get out of the woods . Also shake your clothes out before you go in the house.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

zopi

if you have room, get a flock of guinea hens...they love ticks, breakfast lunch and dinner, and they are tasty too! lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Raider Bill

To get ticks out I use a cotton ball soaked with dawn dish soap. Put the cotton balll on the tick for about 15 seconds he or she will back out and attach to the cotton.

My little dog gets them all the time in Tenn even using drops.

I've heard lately that corn huskers oil will keep them away but haven't tried it yet.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Radar67

Quote from: zopi on June 05, 2008, 11:30:39 AM
and they are tasty too! lol

So what kind of ticks have you been eating Zopi? Got any recipes?  :D :D :D :D :D :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Kevin_H.

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 05, 2008, 12:47:06 PM
To get ticks out I use a cotton ball soaked with dawn dish soap. Put the cotton balll on the tick for about 15 seconds he or she will back out and attach to the cotton.

My little dog gets them all the time in Tenn even using drops.

I've heard lately that corn huskers oil will keep them away but haven't tried it yet.

Are you using straight dawn or diluted with water?
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Raider Bill

straight dawn, blue seems to work best.

LeeB

I guess I'm out of luck. Can't do the permethrin either. Ain't alergies fun?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

Well, you could try boiling a lizard, a roach, a rat and a rose.  Then taking a bottle of the elixir to the woods with a dead cat.  Put three drops on his tail, sling him around your head three times and sling him off of an embankment that is at least ten feet tall. 

From then on out, you should be able to put a drop of elixir in the small of your back before going into the woods.

I don't know what it will do.  :-\

wudhed

Sawyers military style insect repellant is the best stuff I have ever used! You can get it at most sporting goods stores, you put it on your clothes not on your skin so allergies shouldnt be affected.
Proudly building quality timberframes since 1981!

ellmoe

Ticks and redbugs (chiggers) worry me more than any other critter in the woods. A bite will irritate me for several months. Years ago I was working on a Game Management Area that was mostly turkey oak/longleaf pine habitat. The area had a reasonable quail population and I enjoyed hunting them, but the chiggers! >:( I soon found a way to stop the problem. Black Flag and/or Raid! :D  I would spray my boots and pant legs before each excursion. It worked! However, I'm not positive that it is an "on label" use. ::)

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Fla._Deadheader

You'll be amazed at how many drop out of trees on to you.  :o ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

brdmkr

Lack of ticks is one of the great benefits of frequent prescribed fire.  So, I rarely have to deal with them anymore.  However, there used to be a repellent called 'Permanone' that worked well.  It can't be good for you as it is illegal in about have of the states.  It does work though. 

Also, some claim that a dusting of powdered sulfur works well too.  You put it in a sock and pop your clothes such that it leaves a good dust on them.  I know it works for chiggers so there is likely some truth to this claim.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

zopi

Quote from: Radar67 on June 05, 2008, 01:00:26 PM
Quote from: zopi on June 05, 2008, 11:30:39 AM
and they are tasty too! lol

So what kind of ticks have you been eating Zopi? Got any recipes?  :D :D :D :D :D :D

stir fried lice.

little buggers are hard to fillet...

cept in TN...it's easy to confuse a TN tick for a flat skippin' mud turtle...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

CLL

Seems to me what I was much younger they used to burn, and ticks wasn't near the problem as now. Oh well what would we do without the tree huggers.
Too much work-not enough pay.

tcsmpsi

We used powdered sulphur applied to the body to keep ticks and redbugs at bay.  Of course, this was used for planned excursions into the deep bottoms.  Those 'unplanned' day to day excursions were treated by soaking in a tub of water with a liberal dose of pine o pine added. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Raider Bill

Where would I get some powdered sulfur? Would it hurt a dog?

Scott,

I've tried advantage, revolution, and frontline. Little girl still gets them. Just bought advantix I think.  it's also supposed to keep mosquitios away? Hope so as she gets bumps and outbreaks all over herself when bit by one.
She get's a bath every week and drops every 3.

Roxie

I had a dog that was very allergic to fleas and ticks, and the vet said to treat the yard with 5% Sevin dust.  You can put it in the dog house and even on the dog.  As long as the dog is confined to the yard, the Sevin keeps them away.

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!