iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash tree and Emerald ash bore

Started by tomkat001, April 28, 2009, 11:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomkat001

With all the talk of the emerald ash bore destroying all of our ash trees, are these trees going to be good for sawing?
Boardwalk Jr. , JD 5075E with 553 loader, Stihl 290 Farm Boss,

OneWithWood

I think the borer only effects the cambium layer and does not penetrate into the wood.  The trees will mill as they always have.  The market though is likely to stay in the toilet.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

chevytaHOE5674

Yes they can still be milled as usual. The big issue comes with transporting the logs too and from the mill, and leaving them decked in a mill yard.

beenthere

And the other issue is how long dead ash will stand on the stump after being killed. May not be possible/reasonable to saw them fast enough to utilize them.

One reason I am making a lot of firewood out of my 10-14" white ash.  :)
Leaving the larger ones and the smaller ones.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dana

The tree slowly dies from the crown down and this takes a few years. During that time the quality of the wood/lumber quickly deteriorates. Best to get them cut down and made into lumber as soon as crown die back is first noticed.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

SwampDonkey

Yeah, like most hardwood, as soon as you loose major limbs the rot moves in.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

Our tie buyer says not to send any ash ties.  They don't want to spread the borer.  I don't think they want the ash ties.   ;)

I've sawn quite a few dead ash lately.  Ours is more from anthracnose.  After a few years, all your sapwood will turn brown, and it seems to be more brittle.  You may also get some other borers that go deeper than the emerald ash borer.  A lot depends how long the bark hangs on after the tree is dead.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!