iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Becoming more Visible

Started by Magicman, February 27, 2012, 01:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Zopi's recent accident along with seeing the new flashers on long logs plus a couple of road trip saw jobs caused me to review my traveling visibility.

On my local crooked country roads I use a "slow moving" triangle, but that is not suitable for highway travel.  Hence, the FLASHER Link

For highway travel.

For country road travel.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dchiapin

when I bought my new TK B-20 I had Timberking install DOT tape all around the frame and the rear of the machine.
Sure can see it at night when headlights shine on it.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

terrifictimbersllc

first sawmill to be seen from outer space
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

:o :o  I'm Blinking  :D   You da man Jeff.   :)

dchiapin, you will notice that I have reflective tape on the rear as well as up on the mast.   My concern has been a lack of depth perception when being overtaken by a fast moving vehicle.  At least with this flasher, I feel better.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dchiapin

I can see it all the way from Melrose

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on February 27, 2012, 02:11:34 PM
Hey! It works!

Don't ya just hate a smarty pants!  :D

DanG thing blinded me just as I scrolled down.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

eastberkshirecustoms

That is awesome! Good job MM. I've been thinking about adding reflective beads to my paint when it comes time to shoot some color on the mill. The same stuff the highway signs use to make them glow.
Again, Zopi's thread got all kinds of ideas stewing in my brain for increased visibility.

CalebL

Magicman, what does your bumper sticker say?
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Magicman

Quote from: CalebL on February 27, 2012, 04:30:27 PM
Magicman, what does your bumper sticker say? 

"Trees are America's Renewable Resource"

inspectorwoody

Good idea Magic.  :)

I like the idea of the DOT tape and the slow moving vehicle sign.

You wouldn't think you would need any of it.

terrifictimbersllc

No doubt it's much more visible now.  But I'd be a little concerned that the new lights might distract a follower from seeing the brake light go on.   I used to keep my orange cones on the rearmost jack but stopped carrying them there for that reason.  It would be great if the orange lights could go red when the brakes are applied.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dan_Shade

i have DOT reflective tape on pretty much everything I can put it on from behind.  It's not on the vertical mast.

My mill's not as pink as your's, Magicman ;)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

eastberkshirecustoms

It's called 'salmon', not pink. :)

Magicman

That poor old LT40 has never seen a shed.  I guess that I could give it a good waxing and remove the oxidized paint.  Na, reckon what color it will fade to next.   :D

Dan_Shade

i kind of liken it to wearing a pink tie, it's not for the faint of heart...

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

It takes a real man to wear Pink.   :D

backwoods sawyer

A few years ago I almost got clipped out on the freeway and added this afterwards. It connects directly into the trailer lights, and removes during set up. Getting more visibility on the back end of the mill makes me feel a lot better when towing the mill down the road, as the other tail light is tucked way up under the saw head yet they look side by side until you get right up on the mill and realize that there is about 6' sticking out behind the saw head.

Half the problem is the salmon color fades away into the background, changing to Contrasting colors also has help with visibility along with 10' of refletive tape for side and rear visability ;D

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Cutting Edge

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 27, 2012, 08:29:10 PM
It would be great if the orange lights could go red when the brakes are applied.
A person could always wire in either a flashing light like MM's, or build their own using either a basic bulb flasher or a "cyclic timer".  That way the only time it would be on is when the brake is applied.  LED technology is becoming much more affordable, and current required is almost nothing.  A cheap 4-way trailer plug and couple magnets and mount it anywhere.  Could even have it work with the turn signals and double, triple flash per turn/brake signal cycle.  My .02 worth.

Can't put a price on safety!  DOT regs are sketchy, depending if mill is liscensed or not. 
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

red oaks lumber

any day time hours i always run with parking lights on, if im pulling a trailer or just driving my truck.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

John S

MM,
Any problems with the magnets holding on during transport?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Magicman

Actually, this came in while I was gone so I have not been able to use it on the road yet.  It has "rare earth" magnets which is that flexible stuff.  I know that it is designed for travel, but I always over-design everything.  I'm whirling my head around figuring out a more secure attachment.  Those metal magnets would certainly work and I have a couple.

rmack

Magicman;

not trying to be disrespectful, but i thought that the rule of thumb was, running lights you see from the front are supposed to be amber, running lights you see from the rear are supposed to be red.

could just be my imagination though. :D
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Dan_Shade

my understanding is front and sides are amber....

same with reflectors

Chuck White

Lots of new vehicles now have RED tail lights, RED brake lights and AMBER turn signals.

I'm not sure if the same would hold true for trailer type vehicles.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!