iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tordon question

Started by gspren, April 21, 2018, 04:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I got a quart of Tordon and started cutting some of the wild cherries and mulberries that were sprouting up around the pines. The Tordon stayed on the stumps although the sap is starting but on a vine about 1" dia the juice was coming out so strong that the Tordon pretty much just floated off. Is it the wrong time of year to use or just wrong for the vines? When will be a better time.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Claybraker

I've had good luck this time of year with the drill and fill technique using Tordon on wild grape vines and really about any stem I can drill a shallow 3/8" diameter hole. Never been a big fan of cut stump, seems like more work than necessary. 

Blue Noser

Quote from: gspren on April 21, 2018, 04:25:58 PM
 I got a quart of Tordon and started cutting some of the wild cherries and mulberries that were sprouting up around the pines. The Tordon stayed on the stumps although the sap is starting but on a vine about 1" dia the juice was coming out so strong that the Tordon pretty much just floated off. Is it the wrong time of year to use or just wrong for the vines? When will be a better time.
Would it have been possible to do a foliar application?

Maybe try a cut stump application later on in the growing season when sap flow should be less vigorous.

John Mc

In most parts of the US, this is the wrong time of year to be doing cut stump. I usually start around mid-summer and go until the leaves start to turn.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

colby 92

spring means heavy sap flow. everything is trying to grow leaves and put flowers on, so upward flow of sap is very high. I do most of of my stump spraying after the target plants have their leaves and are actively growing. I mainly commented because i was thinking that Tordon is know to move through the soil to other plants (no target plants) if used heavily.Might want to check that out before going full throttle on it. A strong concentration of Glyphosate will do the job. 50%. 

Larry

I use a lot of the rtu tordon in the quart squirt bottles for cut stump application.  I only use it in the months that have an "R" in them, just because its too hot to be in the woods in the other months.  Most use comes in January or February.  My vine experience has only been with grape vines up to 2" diameter.  Always had excellent results on anything I used it on.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!