iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rabbitt meat question

Started by D2 Cody, January 07, 2018, 03:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D2 Cody

Hi guys, I have a question for some of you other hunters out there. Went out and bagged a couple wild rabbitts today and plan on making jerky with them after they sit in some salt water over night. My question is I have another rabbitt that was in the freezer from March or April of 2016. Do you think it is safe to cook yet. I looked on the usda website and it says as long as it has been frozen continuously in which it has it is safe indefinitely but for best test eat within one year of freezing. What do you guys think?
Are you just going to lay there and bleed or get up and do something about it..Wyatt Earp Tombstone

Echo-Stihl-Caterpillar-Dodge-Craftsman-Lincoln

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Yoopersaw

Chuck White

I agree, should be no issues!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DanG

There should be no safety issue but quality may suffer. I would make jerky from the frozen one and smother fry the fresh ones. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

coxy

don't eat to much at a time we made jerky out of 10 of them ended up with the Hershey  squirts  :D 

Chuck White

Also called the "Outhouse Trots"!

That's from a story by: Willy Makit, and illustrated by: Betty Don't!   :D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

luvmexfood

Quote from: DanG on January 08, 2018, 10:05:51 AM
There should be no safety issue but quality may suffer. I would make jerky from the frozen one and smother fry the fresh ones. ;)
Yep. Two different issues. Is it safe to eat and then what will it taste like. Somewhere in the home preservation of meat there is a recommended time to keep frozen meat.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Ianab

Yup, as long as it's been continuously frozen, it's safe to eat, as in, you wont get food poisoning or anything. Just that stuff in the freezer tends to dehydrate and get "freezer burn", so it might start getting tough and dry. Basically 1/2 way to jerky already. So the freezer time guides are about food quality, not safety.

I'd pull the frozen one out and throw it in the slow cooker for the day with some veges and stock. After that it will be "fall apart tender" again, and still good to eat.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

gspren

Makes a big difference on how it was wrapped/bagged etc. I've had venison that was vacuum bagged hide in the freezer for 2 years and be fine while the same cut wrapped in butcher paper is suffering in 6 months, zip lock is somewhere between.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

LeeB

Film wrap prior to vacuum packing will last for a very long time even if the vacuum is no longer fully effective.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!