iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whole Shop Dust Collector

Started by SlowJoeCrow, December 13, 2016, 08:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPF2509

I've got the same trash can lid separator as Czech made and it does well for my 12" dewalt planer.  I have it on a 55 gal drum as my current collector (a rainbow vacuum) has enough suction to implode a metal trash can.  I just bought a 1 1/2 horse mobile collector for a can't beat price off northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company supply.  I have not set it up yet.  It was sold as a mobile collector but since the mobile base system was the weak point I'm going to stationary mount it.  It has a squirrel cage fan that moves quite a bit of air.  Made in china is stamped on the motor but that seems to be the best part of the setup.  Don't know the cfs but I'll only run one machine off it at a time.  Buyer beware of northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company and it lives up to the 3 star out of 5 rating though everyone dissed it for the mobile base system, not the fan or motor.

thechknhwk

Regarding venting directly outside, if you're burning wood and don't open a window or have a proper fresh air intake it will suck the smoke right out of the stove.  Don't ask how I know :-X

thechknhwk

My dust collection situation is a complete mess at the moment. >:(

SlowJoeCrow

You mean to say you have a dusty dust collector? Lol

thechknhwk

Quote from: SlowJoeCrow on December 15, 2016, 08:51:09 PM

Oh yes it's always covered in dust :D.  Hoses all over the floor, dust collector pipe going thru a piece of osb in the window, gotta pull the hose out of the table saw to use the planer, and on and on...  I had to take the pipe out of the window because it's so cold outside, so now I've added another layer of inconvenience next time I want to cut, plane or run the molder.

Just Me

Quote from: SlowJoeCrow on December 15, 2016, 08:03:54 AM
That is very surprising to hear that the heat bill didn't go up that much.  Outside venting seems to be the easiest way to go, but I had dismissed the option mostly due to my worry about heat loss in the winter.  I have been considering a system where I could filter the air in the winter and keep it in the shop and in the summer I could switch over to outside venting.  When you run in the winter, do you have an air intake that lets air into the shop to equalize the pressure or is your building drafty enough that there isn't a problem?

There are three garage doors in the shop, so built in leaks. If I open all of the openings to use it to evacuate when spraying I have to open a window, but to just run one machine at a time it is not a problem. If I figure out all the time I spent handling dust and apply an hourly rate to it, the heat bill is cheaper, and it is healthier. I just do like Larry and move it with a tractor. I make everything from rough stock so can make a pile of chips in a hurry. Yesterday I processed 350 bd ft of maple from 1 1/4" down to 7/8", would have been about 6 50 gal bags.

I had a switchable system at my last shop as the dust collection system was bigger, baghouse in the winter, outside in the summer, but that system was too big for my new homeshop location. It worked well other than any cars parked around the outlet were dusty. I'm trying to work out of a three car garage now till I can get my pole barn set up, sure miss that big shop!

Just Me

Quote from: SlowJoeCrow on December 15, 2016, 08:51:09 PM

When I first moved my shop here I bought a Jet 2100 four bagger. My wife called it my dust redistribution system.

I could not get it to stop leaking, even tried cartridge filters, which plug pretty fast by the way when you work every day, and finally gave up and took the blower off and used it to blow everything outside like Larry. I have mine mounted inside at ceiling height so I can use a remote.

Larry, I like the remote. I put it in my shirt pocket and always leave it on the Biesmeyer fence at the end of the day. I did lose it a few times till I made myself put it in the same place all the time. :D

SlowJoeCrow

Very good points and thanks for the feedback!  Planing sure makes the sawdust pile grow.  Maybe I should refocus on shooting the chips outside and be done with it.  My shop is out in the country and we have skid steers on the farm for handling.  No filters to deal with...seems like a no-brainer now.  That changes things quite a bit... all I need is a blower. Hmmmmm.

Don P

If you go that route I'm all for sticking that noise outside the wall.
The first big shop I worked in we had a large blower/cyclone and grain side truck outside. I tried to suck the building in one cold night, we had to keep a door open. It was a big day when I went to a shop with a bag house and air recirculation... we had heat. But those were large systems.

SlowJoeCrow

Larry & Just_Me: What kind of blowers are you using?  Just blowers off of single stage canister dust collectors?

Just Me

I just used the blower off of the Jet 2100 cfm, threw the rest out. I made a square duct to go through the wall out of Azek and a steel frame that hinges down for any service, and then slips back in to the duct when tipped up. I did make a flapper door on the end of the duct so cold air and critters could not migrate back in through the blower duct. Need to rework my hinge location a bit as it collects dust and does not close all the way. I have to clean it periodically.

Winters are extreme here so I did not want the blower outside, bearing are not made for below zero temps.

Larry

I heat 24/7 with a wood stove using something less than two cords a year.  Our climate is moderate and a lot of time I have to open a window because its to warm.  The shop is 1,500 square feet and fairly tight with average insulation.  I have no trouble with pulling smoke out of the wood stove but maybe I'm lucky.

Since I heat 24/7 all the mass in the shop is around 65 degrees which moderates any temperature swing.  When I run the DC it may run for a half hour at a time than off for a while.  I never notice any change in temperature.  Occasionally I will run the DC 4 hours at a time when processing a lot of lumber through the planer.  I'll normally do this on warm days as I have the garage door open anyway bringing in lumber from outside. 

My blower is a Murphy Rogers with a Baldor motor, all made in the USA.  I don't think it makes a big difference where the blower comes from, but the motor should be high quality.  If the system is designed properly the motor with be loaded near max and it runs more than any other motor in the shop.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SlowJoeCrow

Well, here's a little update on my dust collection status: 

I stumbled across an nice lady who was interested in selling her late husband's woodworking machinery.  I took a look at his immaculate basement shop, still full of tools and there was a Jet 1 1/2 HP DC-1100 canister filter dust collector.  I left with the DC, all the duct work, a Jet 16.5" drill press, a delta 20" scroll saw, and a delta universal wet/dry grinder!  I don't know what happened, honestly!!!  It is a small shop but I am thinking about going back to look around some more, all of his tools were taken care of very well. 

I really wanted a bigger collector, but the price was right and it will be waaay better than my shop vac.  I am pretty stoked about it!

DDW_OR

good find.

if the price is right then go back
"let the machines do the work"

sawwood

I have a 16 X 20 shop that is wall to wall tools and lumber. I have a Delta Unisaw, 8" grizzly jointer, 18" Woodmaster planer,
10" sears radial arm saw and 10" delta ban saw. All of them are on my dust collector system, and the pipes are hanging from
the celling. The dust blower is out side on the back wall with a pipe running into a collecting box. The blower is a 2hp 1200
cfm unit. The inlet for the blower is 5" and I have it reduced to 4" for most of the machines. I also have a over head air cleaner
that I run when in the shop working. I have some photos I will put on here to show my set up.

Sawwood

Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

LeeB

My whole shop was a dust collector before  :D. Now I don't have a shop until I build a new one. Seriously considering building pier and beam with wood floors and running the dust collection under the floor along with the wiring.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Larry

Quote from: Larry on December 16, 2016, 11:35:20 AM
I heat 24/7 with a wood stove using something less than two cords a year.  Our climate is moderate and a lot of time I have to open a window because its to warm.  The shop is 1,500 square feet and fairly tight with average insulation.  I have no trouble with pulling smoke out of the wood stove but maybe I'm lucky.

This fall I blew another 6" of cellulose in the shop attic.  Fixed a couple of air leaks and did some caulking.  Last week we had an unusually warm and completely calm day.  I had the woodstove choked down and the fire was almost out.  I opened two blast gates...you guessed it, I smoked myself out.

That taught me to leave a window cracked when running the DC.  Ok in the winter as the woodstove puts out enough heat to warm a couple of shops my size.  I added the extra insulation in hopes of being able to AC the whole shop this summer.  Will see how that works out.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kbeitz

That's one scary looking chimney...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Czech_Made

And I thought my shop was crowded  ;D

Gotta post some pictures.

Dakota

Now I don't feel so bad about my shop.  I could still give you a go though (clutter wise).
Dave Rinker

SlowJoeCrow

My shop is an absolute mess right now,  I need to do some major rearranging and cleanup.

DDW_OR

DDW_OR

my idea of a 16x30 shop with 8 foot ceiling has changed to 24x30 with the ceiling as high as the pole barn rafters, 12 foot sides. so 10 or 11 foot ceiling. the 24x30 shop will still leave a 40x30 Pole barn area.
next choice is overhead or under floor dust collection.
overhead is better for maintenance, modifications and clog clearing.
underfloor is better for freedom of movement of a 16 foot 2x6
i think under the floor for the equipment that is not near a wall. and overhead for those near a wall.

Thank You Sponsors!