Sponsors:

Mr Hootie's

Started by Corley5, February 20, 2007, 12:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

One DanG big Buda Diesel engine

DanG big jointer

DanG big belt sander

Other end of the DanG big belt sander  Lots of things at Hootie's are BIG  8) 8)

Pile of Timberjack skidder blades.  DanG and I spent 4 or 5 hours there ;)  Maybe more I lost track of time 8) 8) and didn't see it all.  This is just sampler of some of the goodies.  I'll post pics of the really good stuff later ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

pasbuild

Hey Corley will dat horizontal sander fit in yer truck???? I'd like ta have dat.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Don K

dang!!! :o :o I need to bring a tent and campout a week and check this place out. Mr. Hootie might have all the parts to build me a skidder from scratch.  :D :D :D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Radar67

Don, I'm planning on visiting there after Moultrie. We need to work out some plans if you want to go.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Corley5

Quote from: Don K on February 20, 2007, 06:43:54 AM
Mr. Hootie might have all the parts to build me a skidder from scratch. :D :D :D

It's not a matter of might have it's a more like how many do you want to build ;D 8)

sawguy21

Mr Hootie is a true pack rat collector.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

Mr. Hootie is a bidnessman!  He freely admits that most of the stuff covering that 25 acres is made up of mistakes.  He has spent over 50 years making those mistakes. :D :D

Pasbuild, dat sander is a whizz-bang for sure! 8)  It won't fit in Greg's truck.  The thing is about 12' long, overall.  The work tables(both sides) look to be about 7' long.  It has a motor, which is probably ok, but has a bad bearing at the other end.  No idea what he might want for it. ???

That big honking jointer is what I'd like to have!  It is 14" wide, and must be 12' long!

Mr. H was busy about the time we hadta leave, so we didn't get the prices on this stuff, or the pile of like-new 65hp Wisconsin engines we found. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pasbuild

QuoteIt won't fit in Greg's truck.  The thing is about 12' long, overall. 
:o :o Never mind, dat thing is WAY to big.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Radar67

Dang, what's he asking for that jointer?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DanG

OK, I went back up there this afternoon and talked with Mr. H.  I also took another look at the jointer and sander.

The sander is not as big as I thought, but is still a major piece of equipment.  The tables are 5' long, and it uses a belt about 6" wide.  It came from a local furniture factory.  It comes complete with a 3 phase motor and some mechanical problems.  It can be had for $150.  I may pick it up myself if nobody else really really wants it.  I don't really need it, so don't be shy.  If ya want it, come get it.  I can pick it up and store it until ya get here, if necessary.

The jointer is a monster!  It is a 16 incher and the table is 7 feet long...very heavy built old iron.  It seems to be in good shape, but has no motor.  He wants $500 for it.*

*Mr. Hootie don't haggle. :D :D :D

The Wisconsin engines are a steal at $1000 each, running.  They are 65hp, V4, air cooled, and have very little time on them.  They were used by the military to retrieve the cables on some large portable aircraft arresting systems.  Greg and I saw the arrestors they came from, and they don't look like they have been used very much.  The engines have a PTO unit attached, RPM unkown.

I will be glad to help any FF members however I can, if you want any of these items.  The appropriate ForestryForum donation would be expected from the buyer. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

Sander from other end.  There'd be a bit much to haul back in a 6' box  ;) ;D

Anybody need one of these ??? 

Somebody was looking for an elvator ???

Here's another.  There's pics of the forklift graveyard coming ;D

Corley5

Thousands bucks each seems like a DanG good deal to me.  Lotsa possibilities  8) 8)

woodbowl

When did he get those Wisconsins in DanG? I bet they weigh nine hunerd pounds.

Take a guess and try to splane about that PTO box.   ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

I dunno.  They weren't in evidence a couple of weeks ago.  His son-in-law estimate's they are 650-700 pounds.  They are heavy duty, for sure!

Don't know any more about the PTO unit than you can see in the pics. ;)

Corley5

Them little Wisconsins would make a good power unit for a sawmill  eh eh  ???  ;) :)

Need a printing press ???

How about a DanG BIG turnbuckle ???

A couple thousand technical manuals for a tracked Howitzer?

sawguy21

I expect those Wisconsins have a 6:1 reduction.  They would be great for a winch application or could be geared to overdrive a mill.

ScottAR

I used to ride one of those Yales at my last job... Don't miss em a bit...

:D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

Glad the boys didn't know about that stuff they would of have made another detour.  :o

Looks like place to go though.  We have a small scrap yard not to far from us that we go to find scrap pieces of steel and stuff we need for projects.
Delcy - Morley, MI
'07 F350 Dually, Diesel, Flatbed
3 Lovely Children Jonathon, Monica, and (Jeff)
2 Brittany Spaniels:  Buddy and Pumpkin Pie

metalspinner

QuoteNeed a printing press

Actually.... ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

farmerdoug

Let's have DanG get that press and he can be our offical printer of the Forestry Forum Funny Money. 8) 8) 8)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

farmerdoug

DanG,  Since you are offering to store it I guess I will take one of everything at Hootie's.  While your at it you can store the bill too. ;D

You know I should stay away from that place or I would probably have to buy Hootie out, land and everything. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Don_Papenburg

DanG , does he have Detroit diesels ?  2and 3 cylinder
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ianab

I reckon you should get a box of those howitzer manuals...

Sell em off one at a time on Ebay, military collectors and model makers would love em ... dont let on that you have 1,000 of them on hand of course  :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Corley5

There were Detroits there of several shapes and sizes.  One was what I think was a 2-71 that appeared to be nearly new 8) 8)  I'll check for a pic  :)

Corley5

The land itself wouldn't be a wise purchase  ;) :)

DanG

Tom

I don't think I would be in the market for a Detroit anyway.   It's too far north and too cold in the winter.  Besides, where would you put all of those layed-off auto workers.   They'de be everywhere, ....everywhere! ;D :D

DanG

Mr. Hootie ain't just about to sell out.  I once asked him how long he was gonna keep doing this?  Without blinking an eye he said, "Till I die."  Things are a little quieter around there than they once were, but merchandise is still coming in and going out.  He is the area's largest dealer in cable, chain, and rigging hardware, and sell's quite a few trucks.  He ain't doing so bad for an 83 year-old. :) 8) 8) 8)

sawguy21

Quote from: Tom on February 21, 2007, 10:08:46 PM
I don't think I would be in the market for a Detroit anyway.   It's too far north and too cold in the winter.  Besides, where would you put all of those layed-off auto workers.   They'de be everywhere, ....everywhere! ;D :D
No no Tom, he ain't talkin about the Motor City. :D

Murf

Hmmm, I might need to get creative with da planning of my upcoming sojourn south, I got's ta go along da east coast on da way down ta drop sumat off at a couple of FF members, but I can wander about some on da way home.

Dat an my co-pilot ain't nebber beanta Flooreeda a'fore an wanted a list of touristy places ta lookey-see at along da way. I think ery'body otter see a place like Mr. Hooties once in der life. Besides, it will put my very humble 'inventory list' into much better perspective.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Mooseherder

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 20, 2007, 10:50:26 PM
I expect those Wisconsins have a 6:1 reduction.  They would be great for a winch application or could be geared to overdrive a mill.

DanG brought us to Mr. Hooties this weekend.  We got lucky cause Mr. Hootie shoulda been closed already but let us in for a gander.  The mechanic was prepping one of the Wisconsins for shipping and had just run it.  He told DanG the gearing was 1:1 ratio.
I'd rather visit that place than any tourist attraction any day of the week. :D  It would take a little while say like a month to get a good look at what he has over there.   Funny thing is it just keeps on getting replenished. ;)

olyman

dang--any idea what hooti gets for a 2-71 detroit?????????? thanks,oly

SwampDonkey

That first motor looks a lot like one you would mount on an air vac harvestor. Has a clutch you engage a drive belt to run the vacuum fan. The belt is 6" wide, actually two of'm. The harvester sucks the taters out of the dirt and rocks and puts them on a lateral speed belt that feeds the back of a tater truck. The trash a rocks go on out and are too heavy to be plucked up onto the tater bed. That was the theory anyway. Works well as long as she's dry digging. Otherwise the air head has to be cleaned out of mud. ;D

We ran them around 25000 rpm. There was a throttle to turn it up and a button to push to quick release the throttle.

One time one of those fans launched straight up through the housing and went into orbit. Not a good situation when your standing about 1 foot from the housing.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

I'll ask him tomorrow, Olyman.  I'm going up there with my chainsaw to see if I can help out a little.  A tornado tore through Mr. Hootie's place about 1:30 this morning.  I passed by there this afternoon and there were trees down everywhere.  I saw at least one damaged shed, but I'll know more tomorrow.  The only help he has is his Son-in-law, Danny, who several of you have met.  I'd be tickled to death if he'd let me help.

The thing came over here just as I was crawling into the bedstead. :o  I jumped back into my britches right quick so they wouldn't find me in the top of a pine tree with just my skivvies on. ::) :D :D  We had a number of branches down in the yard, but no real damage that I could find.  It touched down about 3 miles from here and went right up Hootie's driveway.  One home just NE of his place was destroyed, but nobody was injured.

isawlogs

:o   Dan those things scare me . I am really happy to know you is not in a pine tree in your skivvies ...  :-X

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

I hope Mr Hootie's stuff didn't get all mixed up. ;D
Glad you're okay DanG.

SwampDonkey

Glad to hear everything is still in tact, if not in order down there.

I'd rather have snow.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

Glad to hear your OK DanG  8)  Hope Hootie didn't have too much damage.  Be careful with the cleanup  :)

Burlkraft

DanG.....Ya mean ta tell me them 2 dead trees is still standin'  ???  ???  ???

Yoo got lucky there   ;)  ;)

Have fun at Mr. Hootie's
Why not just 1 pain free day?

DanG

Yep, they're still there, Steve, but they don't have quite as many branches now.  They might be a little easier to deal with, this way. ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

DanG's Skivvies would scare me too :o
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

OneWithWood

Keep your wits about you, Dan.  Do good and keep your britches on  :o  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

woodbowl

It was a good partial day at Hooties. At least Moose and Burl got to see a fraction of what was there. Another time and we can cruise the rest.

DanG, how bout' some pics of the Hurricane damage at Hooties. Did the Generals jeep get damaged?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

Things weren't as bad as they looked from the road, and they already had a bunch of it cleaned up.  When I got there, Danny was on the roof with one of Mr. H's grandsons, removing a pine top from right over the office.  They got a little patch job to do on the roof tomorrow.  Everything else can just be pushed out of the way for now.

Olyman, I'll send ya a PM. ;)

Corley5

Glad to hear that the damage at Hooties wasn't too bad  :) :)  I was hoping to get over that way to look around again with ya DanG and get some shrimp over in Woodbowl's neck of the woods but it's not gonna happen this time.  We've gotta leave a bit early so Dee can see some of her Strawberry Shortcake collecting friends in Atlanta  ::) ::) :-\  :(  A price I've gotta pay  ;)   

DanG

Well DanGit Greg, I was hoping to see ya on this trip.  I was gonna make a little trade with ya.  I'd show ya how to tie a necktie if you would put that engine in the Hootiemobile for me. ;D

isawlogs

Now that sounds like a fair deal to me .  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

Quote from: woodbowl on February 19, 2008, 08:06:35 PM
It was a good partial day at Hooties. At least Moose and Burl got to see a fraction of what was there. Another time and we can cruise the rest.
DanG, how bout' some pics of the Hurricane damage at Hooties. Did the Generals jeep get damaged?

I heard tell everything is just the way we left it. ;D :D

Jeff

Hard to believe that stayed up. I can remember one of us shaking one of the poles while we were there and you could make the whole roof move.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

I am sure the words snow load never appeared in the architectural drawings for that roof. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Yea, but they just had a twister.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

It's funny about those twisters. I seen where one went through and took out a mobile home and nothing but fibre glass insulation spread around the yard and a few scraps of aluminum. I don't know where the rest went. Then directly across the road an old farm house stood untouched as it went right by one corner of the house. The twister crossed 3 heavy transmission lines and never hurt them and before it got to the river in went down through the woods and made a mess and disappeared to nothing. People were in the mobile home at the time and never got hurt. I think they got under the kitchen table.

Dave Shepard

Twisters care little for engineers stamps, only for surface area. ;)

Had one go through here in 95'. Took the garage off the side of a house, left the new BMW on the slab without a scratch on it. :o Lot's of stuff disappears in a twister, either never to be seen again, or somewhere far, far, away.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DanG

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 23, 2008, 10:02:29 PM
I am sure the words snow load never appeared in the architectural drawings for that roof. :D

Dave

I'm pretty sure the words, "snow load" never appeared on any architectural drawings around here.  I'm equally as sure that there were no architectural drawings for that shed. :D  It has been through at least 20 years of hurricanes, tropical storms, severe thunderstorms and tornados, though, and still looks pretty much like it did when it was built. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!