iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Sale

Started by whittle, August 28, 2008, 10:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whittle

I had some folks from the local Timber mill stop by the other day and they wondered
If I was interested in selling some of my trees..They proceeded out back marked about 40 trees and gave me a price on what they would pay for the trees..I live about 6 miles from the mill..Im just wondering if Im getting a fair price for the trees?
Also I live about dead center in the state of Michigan..Prices he quoted me were as follows....Hard Maple  3,350' @.500 total $ 1675.00
Red Oak 450' @.400 total  $180.00    White Oak 4000' @ .300 total  $1200.00
I have other trees they are interested in but this is good for a start...Does this seem like a fair price or not???Thanks  Whittle

Ron Scott

Best to have a professional consulting forester or your local conservation district forester look at your timber stand for an evaluation and recommend a proper management prescription.

Insure that the "worst first" are the trees being marked and not just your large and best trees. Also solicit bids for the best market values.
~Ron

SPIKER

Also since you are the lot owner get every thing in writing...!!!   such things as clean up damage costs that they create to other trees damage reclamation to land (don't want huge ruts left and or all the tops scattered about in you're way.)   Stump such as grindin or ar they going to leave them set...  ect.  price sounded a bit ow but market is also down and i'm not in you're area but I'm also NOT a forester/timber buyer...

what was said above I 2nd!!!

Mark

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

thecfarm

I myself would not let no one cut on my land without first seeing some,alot,of thier work.I am REAL fussy with my land.I had some of my lot cut off.I watched this guy cut for about 20 years.He does and did a real nice job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Berkshire

As a timber buyer myself I approach a lot of landowners about buying their timber. My number 1 goal is to meet the landowners goals and expectations. For some landowners this can be tough because they do not know what to expect or they just like the sound of dollar signs without having to do any work. If you do not know what to expect, do not jump right into things, research things, talk to people, talk to the state/county forester in your area. Things to look out for are diameter limit cuts (ie. 14" dia. and larger to be cut), only certain species to be cut, unmarked sales, no stump marks, and there are others, but these should raise an eye brow if someone mentions any of these. I know when first approach a landowner I talk with them and try to work with them to figure out what their goals are and education about forestry and trees. Make sure you go for a walk with whomever is marking timer on your land and ask every and any question possible, such as why are you marking this tree and not the one next to it, How many board feet are in that tree, What  is the merchantable hight of this tree, Why are you marking a wide variety of tree diameters, etc? I encourage the landowners to come out in the woods while I'm marking their timber and I explain everything to them and why I'm doing what I'm doing, I even let them use the measuring tools. I totally agree with the above post about getting things in writing. If you can, get the tally from all of your marked timed and check it over and add it up. If you are in it for the long term, make sure they are marking pulp and or firewood trees, not just log trees. I cannot stress this enough, please educate yourself, you will be much better off.

thecfarm

Just to add more to the above post,can you wait a year?Not just for money,the wood more be woth less by than.But so you can educate yourself more and learn what to do and not to do.I've seen and heard how some land owners just jump at the first offer and THAN they start to ask questions and get educated.Kinda late when the trees are gone. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!