iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Names for metal pegs

Started by trouts2, August 04, 2018, 08:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trouts2

What are the various names for metal pegs used in testing joints or temporarily holding joints together?  I have seen T types but there was one that seemed even better.  It had a sort of flag at the side of the top end of the thick end of the peg.  I assumed the bottom part of the flag was for banging on to get the peg out.  I saw this type a week ago and the name was given.  I since decided I wanted to get some but forgot the name(s) and could not find the name(s) after googling around for an hour last night.

Dave Shepard

I've heard them called drift pins and podgers. The style you are talking about are blacksmith made. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

Podgers.  

I made a set of 25.  I had them copper then Nickel plated.  They look nice.  I plated them because if you don't, they will rust and I don't want to deal with that.  I need to take a pic.  I didn't build the carrying boxes/totes for them yet.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

I call them "test pins" and the ones with holes through them are easier to store. You take a second one and put it through the hole of the first one in the timber peg hole and it make a "T" handle and you can pull or tap it out.
The ones I have are tapered so that they can be used for 3/4" holes or 1" holes.
Jack Sobon suggested that the large diameter of the big end should be 15/16 of an inch. That what I have.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

trouts2

Davd Shepard,  That's it, podgers.  .  Thanks.  After seeing them and thinking about their usefulness I tried to find them again.   I could not remember  if they were at a sales site or not.  I could not find them again and you are probably right, that they are blacksmith made. 

Brad_BB, nice clutch of pins.  I doubt I'll ever use a pin larger than ¾".   I think I would like to test pin things together on the ground.  Having a 20 inch pin is pretty long.  I'd have get the beams off the ground for that.  I'm work alone.  I thing a shorter pin I think would be more suitable for me.  There's a small machine shop close by that will do small requests.   I'll see what he can do for a pin. 

Jim_Rogers, I looked at your web site and did not see any.  Did you give up on the idea of stocking them? If those were McMaster then they are pretty long also.  I think 15" for the ¾ pin.

Brad_bb

If you see the taper goes down to 1/4 inch...I think I shortened them and a can't remember the final length.  I didn't need them to go that small.  I'm not where they are right now.  When I first finished them and had a timberframe crew onsite, they used them and wanted to buy some from me.  I just gave them some. Enough to do about one bent. I think I have 25 left.  Theirs weren't nickel plated though, just raw steel.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

In the for sale section of this forum is our tools for sale list. In the miscellaneous section you'll see "test pins" listed. I have some here on hand.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ljohnsaw

Brad/Jim,
Plating is nice but would Stainless Steel work or would it be too soft?  Aluminum would be much easier to fabricate but I think that would be way too soft/weak and likely stain the wood like it does my hands.  But AL would be so much lighter to carry around!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dave Shepard

SS would be great, other than its tougher to forge and machine. Al wouldn't hold up well. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!