Sponsors:

On the road

Started by rjwoelk, March 15, 2018, 08:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelawhereJoe

448 ft up by the PA line, but has the lowest average of all 50 states
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

breederman

I knew it's not much. It's more than that from here to town !
Together we got this !

mike_belben

Got my class A an hour ago.  Only took 2yrs of trying.
Praise The Lord

lxskllr

square1

Yes,  congratulations!

Resonator

Quote from: mike_belben on December 04, 2018, 05:24:52 PM
Got my class A an hour ago.  Only took 2yrs of trying.

I heard that, 10-4 Driver! Keep the shiny side up, and the dirty side down, good buddy, catch you on the flip flop, we gone! (Big radio CB talk)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

rjwoelk

Dead head from Cheyenne WY to Missula MT yesterday. Picked up composite board for a furniture manufactor in winnipeg MB.
Mayed it to Beach ND.
A litle bit of snow tonight here but good during the day. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

mike_belben

Thanks guys.  

Ive been moving my own equipment one nickel at a time for years.  I love deadheading for a load, it costs me half as much in fuel as running loaded!  990 miles one way will eat some diesel. 
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

I only drove as a company driver for Schneider for about 6 months. Drove vans and never flatbeds. They were a very good company to drive for and did everything they promised. Had a partner first 3 months or so then drove solo. I found when partnering I never got enough rest as I'd be laying in the bunk bouncing down the road back and forth between east and west coast at 3:00 am wondering if my partner was awake enough to drive or if he was going to fall asleep and wreck and kill us both. To his credit he would pull over if not safe to drive. When driving single when I stopped I got a good nights rest and I always pushed my dispatcher to keep me moving and making money or to be stopped at my home and they did pretty good to accommodate my request as it was good for them too. I was never one to wait at a truck stop to deliver tomorrow. Get it unloaded to day and go home or moving my next load. My best load was a load of dryer sheets that weighed about 2,000 for a full van load.

I enjoyed meeting folks and seeing the country and have no regret at all for the time spent. It sure gave me a better appreciation for the work our drivers perform to get us the goods and supplies we need and want. I am certainly more tolerant and push me friends to be so when they get behind a big truck struggling to make a grade or make a hard buttonhook turn at an intersection.

There was a lot of camaraderie out there whether someone talking you awake in those early morning hours or helping you find a delivery destination when missing your appointment would mean going to the bottom of the line and waiting 6-8 more hours to unload. Simple things like helping you slide the trailer to adjust the length at the scale could save you climbing in and out of the cab 3-4 times.

If nothing else the experience sure helped me learn to back my boat trailer and sawmill into a tight spot a lot better than before. My best to all you guys who continue this life style. May you avoid ever having to do any blind side backing and may there always be an empty parking spot at the rest area for you right in front showers and rest rooms.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

rjwoelk

I think the worst part is the guys that come off a ramp onto the highway. Their are very few that will speed up and merge properly.  Other is the slow passing guy looking at your load. I will put my signal light on to get them to get by.
Then the guy that has miles of open road ahead and behind on a 4 line, will pass and then cut infront less then 2 seconds between you and their rear bumper. 

Howard i hear what your saying about a codriver.  
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

rjwoelk

On my way to saltlake city. 
Stoped for a reset at the Flying J west of Bismark. Had Breakfast. I call it a pancake sunday.

moosehunter

rj, I see you posted the pancake Sunday about 2 hours ago,  wondering if you have had a heart attack yet. That looks like one on your plate! Bet it tastes good tho. 

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

rjwoelk

I am in my bunk sleeping it off. :laugh: :D
It was good but should have had half as much..

rjwoelk

Hauling lumber to menards DC. in WI north of chicago.  Staying ahead of the snow. Drop my load and exchange trailers with another driver and take his load to IL.

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

rjwoelk

Wed i picked up a tarp load in kenora ON. 40 below wind chill 52 below.
Tarps were like plywood. But the sky was clear the sun was shinning. And they had a tarp shed.  
Heading to Grand Rapids MI then to sault st marie pick up lumber and head for Belchertown ma.

mike_belben

My kenworth is sitting in belchertown on the palmer line. 
Praise The Lord

Grizzly

Quote from: rjwoelk on February 01, 2019, 12:05:18 AMWed i picked up a tarp load in kenora ON. 40 below wind chill 52 below.
Ah yes, now i remember why i should be grateful i can't go on the road anymore.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Resonator

QuoteTarps were like plywood.
Straps can freeze too. I had a couple loads where the straps were caked in layers of ice and frozen onto the winches. Some peeled apart after thawing them out while standing outside in sub-zero windchill. Others I just cut off and got new ones. Oh the fun I used too have flatbed truckin'... 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

mike_belben

What i hate is when its too cold for my bottle torch to fire and all the locks are frozen. 
Praise The Lord

rjwoelk

Mike i will be in belchertown some time sunday late afternoon or evening. 

mike_belben

Id meet up with ya but i live in tennessee now.   I was raised in ludlow, the town youll probably get off the pike at to take 20 up into belchertown. Be safe.
Praise The Lord

rjwoelk

Heading to Hayti MO.
Stopped at williamstown KY.
Going to do a tour of Noah's Ark tomorrow. 

Magicman

Noah's Ark is on our bucket list for this year. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

They open at 12 tomorrow. 
A little bit funny tonight it's pouring rain :o.

Thank You Sponsors!