iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

isn't this always the way?

Started by woodmills1, April 16, 2003, 03:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

finally got some non white non wet weather so sunday I put this huge hemlock up on the mill to make some dump truck side boards and zip! very first pass I cut through the eye part of a 3/8 ths eye bolt, not one metal cut but two.  o well!  got enough hemlock so I put on a choice white pine to cut some live edge siding for a customer and got 6 pieces at 14 inch and a few more at 13 and 12.  The customer shows up around 6 and says oh this will never do it is too straight on the non cut barky edge. o well!  he takes a look at the scrap pile and pulls out some of the ugly wavy miss cuts from the hemlock metal debacle and says these are what I am looking for. WOW!  so I get paid for some real waste product and have some premium stuff that I guess I will have to use to side the back of the addition on the house.  go figure!
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ARKANSAWYER

Oh yes that is the way it goes most of the time.  I cut out some oak beams for a guy and took good good care for them to be slick and square.  Handled them with great care and when I got them to the man he did not want them.  He wanted "ruff" beams.  Oh great! now he tells me.  So I get home and get the worst low grade post oak I can find and take a dull blade and bend a tooth or two and cut out wavey ruff not to square beams.    I just dumped them on the ground and let it rain on them.  He was very pleased with his beams. ::)
   Never throw any thing away as someone will want it some day.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

ohsoloco

I guess that can work both ways as well.  Before I took a load of cherry to the kiln a while back I sorted out all of the boards that weren't worth having dried (they were the first logs I ever cut on the mill  ::) )  My dad called up a guy that will take virtually anything as long as it's free.  He stopped by and looked at a dozen or so boards...nope, didn't want them.  Oh well, it all burns in the fireplace   ;D

Couldn't give my slabs away to save my life.  Started selling them and I couldn't cut enough  :D

Tim

It took the ice storm of '98 to get rid of the bulk of my slab pile at the time. They hauled out of here for three weeks!! I told them that if you're cold... come and get it...
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Neil_B

Ya getting the freezing rain now Tim, or you in for lunch.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Frank_Pender

you guys sound like you have dealing with some of the same sort of folks that have been sharing their money with me.   It has been so slow around here that I can't hardly give a 2 x 4 away.  I have about 25,'000 bd ft log scale of Fir, in the yard and can't even give a 2 x 4 away.  What I am selling though is, truck after truck of sawdust (3 yards at a time) being picked up, left over slabs from months  back, almost all of the table slabs I cut last fall,  and odds and ends of material overrun and misfigured bits of lumber as well as over 1,000 lbs of Maple Burl, some as heavy as 200 lbs.  I cannot figure it either. :-[ ???  But I am not going to complain. ;D 8)
Frank Pender

Tim

Its colder than a witch's teat here New_Sawyer but, no freezing rain... at least today, who knows what May will hold.
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Thank You Sponsors!