iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Input on Deere 240 skidloader

Started by Ironwood, December 30, 2011, 06:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

I normally run with it pretty fast, but this a MAJOR expenditure ,and I am doing LOTS of online searching for hidden, or not so hidden issues with all I am considering.

Thanks thou. Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

red oaks lumber

stick with deere, look at a 260 do some thing but , dont look at any others. just my opinoin. since owning deere from model yr 2000 to my current 2010 somewhere around 15,00 hrs put on and all the repairs needed 1 turbo on the 2001. 1 main hydralic hose on the 2005
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ironwood

I really wanted a friend's 8875, super clean and nice, they bought a replacement and KEPT both!! I was bummed, I waited for 2 months for the final word on it (company is two brothers and semi retired father 70+, he was on vacation) I was bummed, thing was immaculate. Thing about a Deere is my buddy knows all about bigger Deeres, he is my "repair guy" when needed and knows them inside and out. So, repairs would be,....well ALOT easier.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DgoDrummer

Quote from: Ironwood on December 31, 2011, 11:28:02 PM
Thanks guys.

Just as an FYI, the serial # is 13 digit and count back to the sixth one from the end and if it is a 1 or 2, then it is an "early" generation 1 machine built in Tennessee, the others were built in Michigan I believe, and are #3 and up, "mine" is a 3. I didnt find anything more but that one post online from 2003 about the issues, so perhaps a fluke, but just thought I'd post it here if anyone could use the info.

Ironwood
Searching info on JD 240's and found this thread, thanks to all! I ran the serial numbers off one I am looking at. Info did not correspond to above info for Ironwood, sorry to say. 6th to last number is "3" on serial number I ran, was hoping for series II, though the logo sticker only says "240". called three JD dealers and they all said same thing: 2001 manufacture date. Seller (2nd owner) posted his 240 as a 2004 JD. Glad I ran the serial number several times. Other threads warn of electrical issues and even burned up units for sale (from a electrical fire!!), tell a tale of electrical issues. When I inquired info from local dealer on the 240 (pre series II), mechanic kinda laughed and said "yeah, try to stay away for those early machines." I've been reading up and it seems some units will be fine, and many other units not so good. Gee Wiz, never knew researching a skid steer could be so difficult. Today looking at a Bobcat 863, though came upon info that the Duetz engine could have issues too (and this one was rebuilt at 3100hrs), local Bobcat dealer told me to go with the Kubota engine in the 753. Glad I'm taking he advice of my father... "never buy anything under pressure for any reason", found that advice to serve me well. 

DgoDrummer

well just spoke to the service manager at my local JD shop. Most informative conversation I've ever had with a mechanic in along while. And completely set my mind at ease concerning potential issues on the unit I'm looking at on Sunday; 2001 JD 240. Long time ago (1980's) when I had a '62 Dodge panel truck as a kid, and I was first learning about working on it, someone once told me, go into the auto parts store and find the oldest guy there, buddy up with him, he'll answer all your questions. I just happen to get some other guy than the younger guy I spoke to the there day... what luck! 
      He mentioned several PIPs on this unit (a PIP is similar to a recall - and any PIP repair work is recorded and stored under that serial number via digital files!!!) He ran serial number; said the PIPs did not apply to this unit, as it was built later than the units with PIPs (and he explained every PIP on this earlier built unit). Hence the 6th to last number in serial # being a 3 made sense in regards to IRONWOOD's post , the 3 signaling a later built unit (manufacture date 5/8/2001) w/ no PIPS.
     This guy spent a good 15 minutes w/ me explaining this INs and OUTs of this JD 240, which he claimed is a solid machine; remember this unit is a later version and did not have PIPs. I asked if I could buy him a 6-pack of good beer and he said, "hey, this is what we are here for."
     If you have JD questions call HONNEN in Durango CO, talk to Chris, the service manager!

Thank You Sponsors!