iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A miraculous feat of engineering? Heck, they do this all the time, I guess.

Started by Jim_Wahl, October 15, 2012, 03:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Wahl

I was struck speechless when I saw this. Well, I am always speechless which explains my low post count.
But I was amazed when I watched this video from League City, Texas. Then I discovered they do it all the time.
Still, I am surprised that some people actually think enough of their natural resources to go to this expense of
time and money to preserve this special tree.

www.leaguecity.com/index.aspx?NID=1806
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

grweldon

That is indeed quite amazing.  Quite expensive... I wonder what the total fee was....
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Chuck White

On one hand the video/story was on the sad side, and on the other hand it was very exhilerating.

Brings a tear "of happiness" to ones eyes.

Thanks for wonderful post!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gandrimp

Not to be a debbie downer, but would anybody like to wager on that tree not living 5 years?
LM2000

Woodchuck53

That's the second large tree I have heard being saved. This was a live oak. They moved it down here in New Iberia, Louisiana on hwy 90 from Lafayette. They left it on top of the ground though and brought the dirt to it. Put guy wires on it and drove a water well close to it for irrigation. A year later still growing strong. Amazing
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

bill m

Quote from: gandrimp on October 15, 2012, 04:41:21 PM
Not to be a debbie downer, but would anybody like to wager on that tree not living 5 years?
There have been many trees like this one all across the country that have been moved successfully. It sounds like the outfit in charge knew what they were doing.  I'll take this bet ;D
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

jueston

Nomad

Impressive video.  My hat's off to the people who did the work, and the ones who did the financing!  I hope the tree makes it.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

That was amazing and that also was also some serious horsepower moving that old gal. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

buzzegray

Sawdust Lover

I'm thinking Caterpillar let them use the equipment for advertisment. You wonder how the Egyiptians moved rocks for pyrmids. ::)

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

pineywoods

Quote from: Sawdust Lover on October 15, 2012, 08:40:43 PM
You wonder how the Egyiptians moved rocks for pyrmids. ::)

Everybody knows they used anti-gravity and tractor beams.. ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Cypressstump

Humm, the price per board foot of that ol' girl sure went up ! ;D

It does one good to see such feats of conservation acheived.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Texas Ranger

Might help to know League City is a bedroom community for Houston, and as such, has a pretty good tax base. 

Disney bought and moved a bunch of live oaks from Texas to Florida for the "new" Disney World.   A guy by the name of Jim Staples was in charge of that series of moves.  No relations, but from our town.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Hilltop366

That sure is impressive, it took a lot of gear to move it, the 3 excavators and 2 dozers work out too a little over 1800 horsepower and 440000 lbs.
Just think it could have been moved with one person a saw and a wheelbarrow too, in less time, just a different end result.

florida

During the 1930's and 40's William Randolph Hearst had 4 large oaks on his property moved to make way for additions to his house. One of them was considerably larger than this one and of the 4 moved 3 are still alive today.

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

valley

I have sometimes felt bad about cutting some trees down especially big beautifull oaks it was really nice to see this thanks for post
Have a great day unless you have other plans !!!

AK Newbie

LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Thank You Sponsors!