iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is it

Started by roscoe234, February 27, 2010, 10:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Maple and yellow birch turn sour and can smell it in the house when my wood is stacked. It's not a pungent smell, but different from when it was first sawed. It does dissipate when it dries good though. As far as sassafras you would know more about it than I. Sassafras is suppose to have a spicy smell to the bark I guess. Anyway, my guess is still sassafras or elm, but not black locust. I know elm does stink like a horse stall. But they used elm on the floor under horse stalls up here. :D

Ron, that darn edit button had me editing your post by mistake. I put it back though, I think. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

If it is elm, then the latewood pores will be arranged in distinct wavy bands.  It should be easy with that test to determine if it is elm.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Wenrich

Does this help?

On the right hand side there is some end grain of a piece of wood. I don't know if its from the same tree, but it isn't oak.  Kinda looks like elm.  I'm pulling these out of Roscoe's gallery. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Here's the pore ribbon pattern in American elm. Can't mistake it I don't think. Should be similar in other elms. Latewood is fairly narrow in this sample, can see where the larger earlywood pores fade out toward the end of each ring. The an abrupt line and a new set of early wood pores in the succeeding growth increment.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

roscoe234

i haven't been around for the past few...but appreciate all the work you guys are doing on this......wish i could help more....Ive seen some talk about the wood Ive shown been cut for awhile......i split and photographed it same day it was cut.... i have noticed it has turned a bit of a tan color since.
I remember the elm at home in mo as a kid.   my dad had a special name for it....indicative of the moisture within...  :)....it would not split...You could lose your ax in it!!  I'm wondering if other elms are the same.....

I don't think I'm gonna buy elm based on the fact that I split most of it with an ax; even the pieces that were like 24" diam.

Nevertheless...I've gotten super curious now.  My new plan of attack....find where Pedro cut this tree...talk to his customer see what I can find out......Maybe that tree had a sibling and leaves are coming soon here .....I'll let ya'z  know!
RR

pineywoods

could be catalpa, yeah they do get that big...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Brian Beauchamp

Looks like a pecan to me. Bark is highly variable between varieties, but can almost have a black walnut resemblance at times. Wood can be kind of stinky, too. The bird pecks in his gallery show the layered tendency of the bark as well. If you scrape off the bark with a knife or just pick at it, I bet it will come off/break apart in layers.

SwampDonkey

Tough sugar maple can also be a bit stringy to when splitting. It's actually quite splintery. I get a couple wheel barrels of splints from every delivery of firewood on a 1.5 cord load. The rings seem to be quite wide in one photo. Don't know the scale.

Ron Wenrich

I've had hickory that you couldn't even split with a maul, then I've had hickory that split like ash.  Who's to say that every elm has to be a monster to split?  Besides, we're talking Siberian elm.  I have a couple in my yard, and the bark is pretty much the same.

I'll throw another possibility out - Kentucky coffee tree.  But, I don't think it has the odor that Roscoe's talking about.

I'm not buying catalpa.  The ones I've cut have been more of a straw color with little sapwood.  I don't recall any odor. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

They use a lot of American elm for firewood in the Canadian prairies. Some western provinces post signs about transporting it and dutch elm. My cousin cut and split a 25 inch elm in his yard for firewood, used a splitter.

WDH

I am settling on hickory too.  The bark is not scaly enough to be pecan/
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on March 01, 2010, 07:59:48 PM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 01, 2010, 07:52:26 PM
Does hickory have narrow sapwood like the walnuts? The bark doesn't look like black locust, which is thick, interlocked and fibrous. I think black locust heart has a yellowish brown tinge.

No.

Well we've come full circle. :D :D Since my first post.

I just don't see the banding coloration in the bark for elm.

I'll never second guess myself again. ;)

woodtroll

All right if not S. elm and its a hickory, I can't buy that it is pecan. To much dark heart wood. My first thought with hickory would be mockernut, http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/subimages.cfm?SUB=3266, shows some images. The dark wood throws me for mockernut, it tends to have a small heart.  I have seen pignut with a lot of dark wood but the bark is different.
The coloring of the wood pushes me back to S elm, even with out the string-e-ness.
I think I have reached the end of cyber deduction from a few pictures of firewood. 

Brian Beauchamp

It could be a black hickory, but I'm still leaning toward pecan because of this pic:

...and where is everyone getting that this has a really dark heartwood? Not really that much darker than the sapwood to me.

Brian Beauchamp

...unless this is from the same log in his gallery :):

Brian Beauchamp

...but all of these look like they have much lighter-colored heartwood :) :

roscoe234

the upper picture was fresh split for this session....in the lower picture the wood had been split for several days......Pedro, the fellow who cut the tree down, told me originally it was some kind of maple.....ya dont spoze he's right????
RR

SwampDonkey

Rings seem too distinct to be maple I'm familiar with. Looks rings porous.

WDH

Nope, not maple.  It is definitely ring porous.

Thank You Sponsors!