iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

to plane or not to plane

Started by whatwas, January 05, 2019, 04:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatwas

Up until today, I've only milled soft wood (pine) but over this weekend I'm going to mill up some  maple and cherry.  I was going to mill 5/4 and maybe a little 2" but should I run it thru the planer green or sticker it and put it in the barn rough?
I have no particular plans for it, I just pulled a couple logs out of some fire wood logs I skidded out. Thanks 
life is good

DPatton

Typically planing green lumber doesn't pan out too well. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Southside

Agreed. It's going to move and do other things while it dries. so you want to do your finishing work after all that has stopped.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

pre planning does reduce checking, typically this is more of an issue with circular sawmills with their rougher surface and in oaks and other check prone species. It is a bear to plane green wood with most shop planers, the feed and extraction aren't up to the task. I made a handful of miscuts today, I set the thick ones aside and plane them to target before sticking them in the pile. If I give them a few days to surface dry and wax the patootie out of the planer bed it helps.

whatwas

Thanks guys, I'll make room and re-stack inside
life is good

Southside

Never realized that about the checking. What is it that causes the difference? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

The saw teeth tearing down through the log cause small fractures that can enlarge in fast drying. Traditionally oak was not sawed until fall and winter when this and many other problems don't happen.

Thank You Sponsors!