iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Geology Puzzle. A rock I found in my yard

Started by Jeff, August 05, 2009, 07:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

No, I don't have the answer, I am hoping someone on here does.  I showed this to several people at the pigroast. I found it a day or so before people started to arrive in the stones around our patio. 

ANy ideas?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hilltop366

Chocolate covered almond gone bad?

or may be a petrified reptile egg?

tyb525

A rock that got covered in lava at some point?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ianab

I think that the white is the original rock rock thats been burried in silt for 'ages' (litterally) and has formed a 'Concretion'

It acts as a sort of seed crystal for more stone to build up around it, the same way as a stalagmite builds up. Sometimes they find dinosaur bones surrounded in the same way.

After a long enough time the surrounding silt or now mudstone gets uncovered and the two layer stone is left.

There are boulder here in NZ that have grown to about 6ft across and are now being uncovered by the sea.

Thats the theory of how they were formed anyway.

Reading up on Wikipedia link I see that similar formations are found near Lake Huron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moeraki_Boulders
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concretions

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

That certainly looks plausible. I have a rock that is magnesium sulfate, the sulfur is/has precipitated from the rock to form a coating of sulfur all over the rock. You know it's sulfur from the smell of a fresh broken piece. Inside it looks like a chunk of shiny metal. I took and chipped off most all the sulfur precipitate.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dana

Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Dana

Quote from: Dana on August 20, 2009, 09:17:52 AM
Does a magnet stick to the outer layer?
One more try here :-\ Look at the bottom of the page on the provided link.
http://www.meteoritemarket.com/metid4.htm
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Jeff

caver

Baker HD18

Ironwood

Concretions are non fossil formations around what where usually air pockets, the inner material usually then percolates in either in steam (near volcanic activity) which genrates beautiful geodes or in your case non-volcanic sedimentation  most likely liquiifed and not so stunning. These are VERY common but cool. We look for them in the Aldi parking lot when we're waiting for Momma to come back out from grocery shopping (Daddy wanted to be a Palentologist, Geologist) we have LOTS of fun w/ litttle ones.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

I'd call it a fossilized pterodactyl egg and make a mint on Ebay. :D ::) Cool rock. I've never seen anything like it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

treecyclers

I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Thank You Sponsors!