iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on Equipment...HELP!!

Started by Rookie, August 01, 2004, 03:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rookie

Everyone-

I'm wondering what type of attachment would work best on my Case 580L Backhoe for loading logs.  I was thinking that a thumb for the excavator or a root grapple up front might to do the trick, but would like advice from the pros.

Also, what type of log trailer would you suggest for a Military 6X6 M52 with fifth wheel (air over hydraulic) attachment?  This vehicle has a Mack 237 diesel engine.

Thanks,
Greg

Ed_K

Welcome to the F.F.
 If I was lucky enough to have a backhoe, it would have forks on the bucket and a thumb on the hoe. Pretty much will cover it  ;).
Ed K

ScottAR

Welcome to the Forum! Nice to see another local on here.  Be sure to plant a tree on the member map.  

A thumb and either a root grapple or forks would do quite well.  Forks are about the most versatile attachment one can have on a machine.  

I'd want them to mount directly to the loader arms verses bucket forks.  That way you can see what your doin' and the crowd force will be nearly the same as the bucket.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

ksu_chainsaw

As for the trailer, it would depend on what you plan on hauling and the type of roads you will be on.  Personally, I would find a smaller single drop deck trailer with a dovetail, around a 35 ft trailer.  I would mount a grapple on the top deck of the trailer, over the fifth wheel.  I would like the dove tail so you can drive the backhoe or another loader up onto the trailer if you needed to.  I would put removable log bunks on it, so they can be adjusted for the length of the logs that you find, and so that you can use it as a flatbed trailer also.
Just my opinion

Charles

Thank You Sponsors!