iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ballast for hauling logs

Started by ahlkey, April 12, 2011, 02:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahlkey

Decided to add my 4wd 87HP tractor to the duties of pulling my smaller Metavic log loader trailer while logging.  Will still use my smaller 45HP tractor at times but for the most part the larger tractor will be the primary power source to pick up the logs that have been winched to the edge of the trails and bring them to the landing.   

This tractor does not have any extra front ballast at the moment and I am not sure how I should handle the weight distribution when pulling a 10,000 log load up & down reasonable declines/inclines. The tongue weight on the trailer is low and the tractor base weight is 7,000 lbs.  So my plan was to just add fluid (75% full) to the front tires which would give me another 500 Lbs (replaces some of the weight of no loader).  Then add more front weight in the form of suitcase weights or a box ballast if necessary to even this out. Would like to add at least 40% fluid in the rear tires for added traction but that might make things worse up front?  Thoughts?

WH_Conley

I would go ahead and fill all of them.
Bill

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

ahlkey

Probaby makes the most sense given its new duties but this will increase overall base weight of the tractor by an additional 1,600 lbs to 8,200 lbs. That is not that heavy but is does knock out using my F250 to trailer it.  I do have a larger trailer & F650 so I am ok but it is nice to use the smaller truck and trailers. In the end, the most important thing is that the tractor is setup right for safe operation and the trailing condition is only a minor consideration.

On my smaller 45HP tractor I have the rear tires fully loaded and it has made a great difference for me in added traction in winter conditions. It does have a loader on it though which helps balance things out.

bill m

What size Metavic do you have? I pull mine with a 55 hp. tractor and don't have much of a problem. 

With a tractor with a base weight of 7000 lbs. you should not need much additional weight, just in the front tires maybe. You will need chains for frozen ground. No mater how much your tractor weighs rubber on ice gives you no traction.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

ahlkey

I have two Metavic's loaders-- the smaller trailer is a 2007 1150M12 with the articulated wheels, which I have found is a nice feature in tight areas.  The other one is a 2004 - 1400 loader but it came off a Wheeler which I mounted on a light custom 18K trailer that I also use over the highway.

So your tractor doesn't have any rim guard in the wheels?  I see you have a loader though and that is not something I have on my ArgoPlus 87 tractor.  The actual footprint on this tractor is similar to your NH.  If I could get by with only fluid in the front tires my base weight would only be 7,300 which would put me under under my F250 trailing limit.   I do have chains for this tractor.

bill m

My rear tires are loaded, not the front. Total weight with the fel is about 6000 lbs.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

ahlkey

That makes more sense that the rear tires are filled. 

I just did an online search on ballast and the John Deere website indicates the following:

"If liquid ballast is used in rear tires, all tires on the axle must be filled to the same level, and should not exceed 40 percent" .... Up to 75 percent fill may be used in MFWD front tires for weight or to provide stiffness to assist in power hop control....  Fill front tires to 40 or 75 percent for needed ballast.  Fill rear tire to maximum of 40 percent".   

The positives and negatives were listed as:

Factors in determining amount of ballast
• Soil surface – loose or firm
• Terrain – flat or slope
• Type of implement – integral/semi-integral or towed
• Travel speed – slow or fast
• Tractor power output – partial or full load
• Tractor weight
• Kg/PTO-hp (lb/PTO-hp) required
• Tires size – small or large
• Type of front axle - MFWD or Independent-Link Suspension (ILS™)

Effects of too little ballast:
• Excessive wheel spin or slip
• Loss of Power Transfer
• Tire wear
• Fuel waste
• Lower Productivity

Effects of too much ballast:
• Soil compaction
• Power loss
• Increased load
• Fuel waste
• Lower productivity

Overall, a lot of variables but for my uses more weight is better than less in my experience.  I may try just the 40% in the rear tires given my tractor size but without the loader upfront I will definitely fill the front tries to the 75% level.

Thank You Sponsors!