iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

? about grafting

Started by Furby, June 10, 2004, 03:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

The previous owner of my house planted a few cherry (fruit) trees. The cherry trees have been damaged and all but one died. In place of the cherry trees I have another tree coming up.  
Could this be from the cherry trees being grafted and I now have the original root stock coming up?
If so, is there any chance these new trees have any value, or should I just go ahead and cut them down?

SwampDonkey

I find that most cherries are grafted. Some of the root stock tend to grow faster than the psion and the tree bark cracks causing decay. Your sucker is likely of the cherry, and who knows what variety the root stock was. It'll take a few years to see what kind of fruit it bears, so make your discision from there. Up here sour cherries are most hardy as they resist black knot fungus. Although rarely fatal to the tree, it makes it look sick. I have problem with racoons climbing the cherries and breaking off the fine branches. I gotta clean house on those DanG things. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

The suckers look totally different then the cherry did.
Here's a pic of what is growing now.

The area the trees are in, is slowly becoming a "work area", so I may just cut them down.  :-/

SwampDonkey

Yup, those are definately cherry leaves and by the looks of the leaf pigment, the flowers will be pinkish. Most prunus species have what is called linear lancelate shaped leaves. Meaning they are long and slender. And they also have oil glands at the point where the leaf blade meets the leaf stem (look like 2 tiny worts beside one another). ;) You can tell flower color from the emerging leaves of roses as well. So next time you shop for a rose and a specific color, that can be a way to confirm what's pictured on their tag. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Hmmmm, good info! Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!