iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too clever by half....

Started by Delawhere Jack, June 08, 2014, 06:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Reading an older thread on here by Jim Rogers about the sight gauge on the drive bearing housing on an LT40 got me thinking it's time to change the oil in mine.

Marty Parsons mentioned that it is VERY important that the housing be vented so that heat build up doesn't cause expansion and a seal failure.

I pulled the upper fitting off mine today and found that it was not vented.  :o Drained the oil and took the fitting home for a little modification.

I had some 5/32" OD copper tubing laying around, so I drilled a hole in the fitting, and soldered the tube in. I then put a small dimple in the tubing near the fitting, and started to pack it with some fine scotch brite pad to act as a filter. Figured I'd slightly crimp the exposed end as well to keep the scotch brite getting blown out or getting sucked in to the housing.

So far, so good. So I lightly pack the tube with scotch brite pad, then I cover one opening with a finger and blow in the other to make sure that it will allow airflow. But I'm feeling air blowing on my lip..... where is that coming from?

It seems the fitting was already vented....... In the one place I did not look...... :-[

drobertson

It, as all lubrication is a critical component, changing according to the recommended timing really should be followed.  It's about all we can do to insure we have done our part in the maintenance of these machines.  And It's really close to my time as well, thinking tomorrow morning the top of the list is this, not a bad job at all.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

:D
Del Jack
That is a good one...  who'd a thunk. ;)

Nice job on the addition of the tube tho.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don_Papenburg

You better solder up that hole to keep unfiltered air out. :)
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

JustinW_NZ

Can someone remind me the recommended oil and times between changes?

Thanks in advance  :)

Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on June 08, 2014, 09:58:34 PM
Can someone remind me the recommended oil and times between changes?

Thanks in advance  :)

Justin

Dextron III ATF fluid and 500 hrs or 1 year.

Chuck White

I've never actually changed mine, but I do check it in the Fall, before the mill goes into storage mode!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!