iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red on Yellow??

Started by ARKANSAWYER, June 04, 2003, 06:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

I need a snake book,  :P  I can not remember if it is "Red on Yellow kills a fellow" or if it is "Yellow on Black you won't be back."  ???
  This little fellow bit my boot twice and then got away.  I went and got the camera and hunted him down.  I got 2 pictures before he got away in the brush never to be seen again.  He is here on the farm so we will meet again.
  Any one got a book who can look it up?
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Weekend_Sawyer

The way I always heard it was

"Red on Yellow, one dead fellow"
"Red on Black, cut some slack"

Did you get a look at his eye?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Tom

If it had a black nose it was a coral snake.

Coral snakes always have a blunt black snout and red, yellow, and black rings that completely encircle the body. There is a yellow ring on both sides of every red ring. Remember: "Red touch yellow, kill a fellow."  

Milk snakes are usually mis-identified with coral snakes and are yellow on black.

The harmless Scarlet Kingsnake (a race of Milk Snake) looks like a coral snake but has a red snout, and the red and yellow rings are separated by black rings: "Red touch black, friend of Jack." In the nonvenomous Scarlet Snake, the rings don't completely circle the body as they do in coral snakes, the belly is white, the snout is red and pointed, and the red areas are ringed in black.

I copied this info from enature.com.   You can find much plant and animal information there.  click on this link

http://www.enature.com/

Bro. Noble

I think coral snakes just live in Florida (possibly adjoining states)  and a different kind is found very rarely in the southwest.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Wudman

"Red next to yellow will kill a fellow"......I believe you have a scarlet kingsnake.  Then again, I'm all the way over here in Virginia.  Could be some difference in coloration from place to place.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

WV_hillbilly

Yall are right about that red on yellow  .Around here we leave the black snakes alone but anything else usually doesn't get a second chance to meet us again. When I was a youngin I was proud that I had killed a 3 ft. blacksnake in our barn. After I showed off my  prize I recieved on of those lessons you don't soon forget. I,m 34 now and haven't even thought about killing another blacksnake.  :P
Hillbilly

ARKANSAWYER

Well that is good to know.  I will let him live should we meet again.  Me and snakes get along for the most part as long as they stay out of the chicken house and do not bother the wife.  We have pulled water moc's and coppers out of our house as well as some black snakes.  I got up one cool morning and was making coffee when Ben went into our room and a black snake was going from the computer desk into the warm bed I had just gotten out of.   He had to die.  Renee' reached in a book shelf upstairs and there was a water moc coiled up sleeping there.  He had to die.
   Me and this guy meet yesterday and I sent him on his way after playing with him.  I think Hognose snakes are the coolest.  When they play "possum" on you if you will pour water on them they pop out of it.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

jimbo

their is only one good snake  and thats a dead one   8)

redpowerd

on the end of a stick, chasing your girlfriend ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Dugsaws

I agree with jimbo the only good snake is a dead one
Doug

WV_hillbilly

Heres one for ya Redpowered.

When I was about 5 or 6 we had a big sand pile to play in by the house . For some reason those pesky little garter snakes liked  to be around there. When my brother or I would catch one we would chase our older sister with it. It was all fun and games until she would run into the house. Funny thing though she would never lock the door behind her. ;D So quess where the snake went too . We thought it was funny until mom found out we had a snake in the house and then the fun was over.Mom would be hot on our heals with a fly swatter chasin us back out the door.  It was fun and we would do it everytime we were lucky enough to catch one. ;D
Hillbilly

Thank You Sponsors!