iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Varminting on other people's land?

Started by Corpsie, July 12, 2004, 02:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corpsie

What's the best to get the message out that I'll exterminate pests on people's property (mainly farms) for free?

I figure there's enough farms within an hour's drive that I can probably attract someone's attention. I'm just not sure how to. Driving around and approaching landowner's one at a time isn't really feasible.

Thanks.
Looks like I'll just have fun at my buddy's property for now.

Jeff

Getting to know them one at a time is probably the only way. Farmers just aint going to let just anybody on thier land, especially someone trying to kill something. Heck, it usually takes a lot of shmuzzin and a whole lot of time to get allowed to hunt on someones land that you have known for years.
Now if yer talking trapping, and you got references that say you know what yer doing, your chances are better, especially if its for say a pesky beaver floodin sumpthin he shouldnt be floodin.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

I agree with Jeff.

Or;
Maybe you could get a panel truck, and have on the side, something like"

CORPSIE  
HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL

or
CORPSIE
HAVE TRAP WILL CATCH 'UM

or
CORPSIE
YOU GOTTUM, I GETTUM

With a phone number of course.  Some armor to protect the vitals against the PITA gang.  :)

Welcome to the forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV_hillbilly

Corpsie  ,

I agree with Jeff .  A couple of the places I hunt I started out just asking to groundhog hunt and they turned into All access hunting before fall . I ask for permission to groundhog  hunt  and voluntered to help put up hay, mend fences and cut firewood on their property  . It worked cause I have been hunting them for about 10 years now . . I also offer  meat from the hunts  ,  fresh picked raspberries or  even deliver firewood to them  for free if they would like some  .  Sometimes I showed up to hunt and ended up helping them for a few hours instead . So just keep asking and sooner or later you will  get access to some quaility property to hunt on and make some lifetime freinds with good people . . 8)
Hillbilly

Norm

Now is a good time of year to go ask farmers for permission to hunt in the fall, it's in between spraying and harvest so things aren't quite as busy and you won't be bothering em. You could put an ad in a local paper explaining that you'd like to get rid of varmints at no charge but I'm not sure what kind of response you'd get. Around here coyotes and coons are pests and alot of guys I know would welcome a responsible hunter getting rid of them. Only problem is getting to know whether your responsible or not so farmers near me mostly keep everyone off their place. I like Dan's advice and would love to have a few guys like him hunting my place to cut down on the varmit population. Last year I saw more bucks over 8 points than I've ever seen and we had a mild winter so I'm sure we'll see more this fall than last. Last night I watched one plucking the freshly silked ears off the corn on the edge of our field, he's lucky I missed. ;D

WV_hillbilly

Norm if I ever  get out Patty and your way I 'll look you up .

A few other thing I  remembered today . When I go to those places to hunt in the late morning or afternoon I 'll stop by their house to see if anyone's out working on the farm and which field the livstock is in . I also ask exactly where they want me to park and I show  them what vehicles I would be driving . Also  sending them a  Christmas card  and  a Thank You  card will go a long way too .I visit them when I'm in the area even when nothing is in season . If they ask you not to hunt a particular animal or species do as they ask . I have one  place I can turkey hunt but not deer  cause someone shot the owners pet buck . That one is a shame cause it is loaded with nice bucks and no one is allowed to hunt deer there anymore ,  not even his own son .  

One of the places I have the pleasure of hunting on was  a referal from another farmer we shoot groundhogs on . I was pretty impressed to think that the guy took the time to introduce me to a farmer down the road to take care of his varmit problem also . I found out they go to the same chucrh and was talkin one day about  varmits and my name came into the discussion as a way to get rid of them .  
Hillbilly

Corpsie

Recommendations noted. Looks like I have my "work" cut out for me.

Just to clarify, I'm not looking to hunt deer or other animals like that. I am just looking to get rid of pests.
Looks like I'll just have fun at my buddy's property for now.

Kevin

We could always use a few more ground hogs for the pig roast.

chet

Eh, Kevin. How about a couple of quill pigs? I'm sure I can find a few.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kevin

They all look the same on the grill and the porky pigs come with their own tooth picks too.

Ron Scott

Get to know your local MDNR people, especially their wildlife biologists and conservation officers. Let them know and check out your skills. They make good references for animal control and specialty varmit hunters.

Be sure you are liscensed by the state also. ;)

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!