iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping Companies

Started by Paul_H, March 08, 2005, 12:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

I have been trying to get the  used Go-fast resaw that I bought  a couple of months ago,shipped out to Vancouver BC from Amherst WI. The shipping co out of Vancouver quoted me $888.00 US from Shawano WI and if I got it out to Bismarck ND it would only be $814.00 US  ???
Another problem is they won't pick it up from the farm in Amherst,they want it to a depot (Milwaukee or Minneapolis are the closest).Tom,the guy that I bought it from was going to get it to one of the terminals(Bismarck) for me but it would not fit in his Horse trailer.The resaw is 7' 4" wide and about the same in length.

Does anyone have any info on a good shipping co I could contact?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Avalancher

We use Central Transport quite often, they are by far the cheapest but not the fastest. Fedex freight is also one that we deal with. A little cheaper than the big guys like YellowFreight.

Norm

Paul do you need this to be put on a flat bed or can it go into a dry van? Also does the guy that has it have the ability to put it on a pallet of some sort that can be lifted with a fork lift, and last if so can he load it at his place.

To be honest the costs of $888 for something this big is not too bad considering the distance but I'll be glad to check with our freighters to see if I can find anything cheaper.

Paul_H

Norm,
Apparently it has a built in slot so it can be lifted by a forklift and Up Country Mfg ships them as is on flat beds.Tom said he can load it at his place with no problem and it weighs around 800 # but the shipping co that I have been dealing with won't pick it up at a residence. Tom said that he doesn't know of anyone locally  that would take it to a terminal.I have talked to another member here (Woodcarver) that lives close by and I'll phone him tonight to see if he knows any local trucks that could get it to Minneapolis.

I know that in my area here,there are lots of small skidsteer operators that would take it on there trailer and that's what I hope to find in Amherst or a shipping co that can pick it up at Tom's place.

I agree that $888 is cheap because there is no way I could drive there and back with my pickup and trailer for anywhere near that.It's at least a 4 day drive one way. The thought crossed my mind to grab a buddy and drive in shifts,eat out of McDonalds and gas stations and be back in four days but I don't know if my system could take it anymore  :-X  :D

Avalancher,
Thanks for the info.I'll try those companies and see if it doesn't prod my shipping co into being a little more accomadating.

Norm

I sure know my butt couldn't take it. ;D

I asked around and the lowest price I found was over a grand so it seems they are being reasonable in price. Depot to depot rates are usually the best so that may be why. When my farmer buddy gets off work tonight I'll ask if the line he uses goes to Canada.

Paul_H

Thanks Norm.
I tried Fedex a few minutes ago but the problem seems to be that Tom is not a business,he's a residence so they suggested a parcel courrier.I told her that will be fine,and then read her the dimensions and weight.Apparently it's too big for an Airplane  ;D

I vould have tot dey vould have a Yumbo-Yet over in Minnesota.

Furby

I'd do it for ya for cost, except I don't have a tow vehicle. :-\
Total Est. Time: 33 hours, 37 minutes Total Est. Distance: 2124.41 miles
Then I could swing by Mr. Pender's place for some wood.
One of these days I'm going to get me a GOOD vehicle.  ::)

Ironwood

I have used contract flatbeds to haul in things. Trip 1 a 4500lb. Beach sander. From Chattonuga, Tenn. to Pittsburgh, $500. Trip 2, 8000lb 30" Porter jointer with Winston Church power feeder, huge compilation of a machine, I just wanted the jointer underneith. From Conneticut to Pittsburgh $450. The distance is greater, weight less, perhaps the brokering fee to get it over the border effects the cost. I guess the mileage adds up out west. 

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

HORSELOGGER

Paul, Amhurst is not that small a town. If Tom was to bring it to a local small factory on his truck , wait for the shipping truck to come to the "legitimate" business adress, then pay the shop 30 bucks or so to have one of their forklift drivers switch it from Toms truck to the big rig, that could work. I have done that on the recieving end here before.
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

stumpy

I apologize for "Jumping" on the thread but, I have a Bobcat that needs to be delivered from Milwaukee, WI to Charleston WV.  Any names or suggestions would be appreciated.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Furby

Stumpy,
Don't know if he can help ya or not, but check with forum member Bighoss550.
Here's a link to his ad in the services section:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=8770.0

Frank_Pender

Golly geee, Mr. Pender,is it Furby.  I feel honored.  I can ship you some burl if you like.

Paul, I use Oak Harbor Freight out of Seattle area.  Their number is 1-800=285-6254.  I have had great work from those folks.  they come right to the mill site and pick up the shipment and off they go.  I put everying on a pallet  and into the trailer.   They are the folks I used to get the tree planter out here.  They brought it right to the mill site.

If you would like, I will try and check with a set of my parents and see if they have a truck that will swing through the area and pick up the load.  These folks run a dispatch company of about 40 some truckers across the country.  Perhaps I should have they contact you, it that is what you wish.  Let me know your druthers.
Frank Pender

Furby

;D ;D ;D
Would you rather I call you Frank?
I remember what you have said about your students calling you Mr. Pender so..........

Frank_Pender

Cute.  Real cute, Furby.  You can call me Frank if you like, or you can continue to use the Mr. Pender.  I am retired from the regular public classroom, so most anything is acceptable but late to supper.   Although that late to supper is often the case, lately. :'( :'( :'( :'(
Frank Pender

Furby

Sorry Frank, really wasn't trying to be a smart ash. ::)  ;D

Paul_H

Thanks for the help and suggestions everybody.

Hey Furby,I IM'd you back.

Reid,
The $800 US is for the freight only and then they want another $450 Cdn for custom broking etc.I would have thought that North Dakota would have made more of a difference in price because it is so much closer.Montana is only a long two day drive from my place and I would have considered taking the trailer out there but for $800,it's hard to beat having it brought right to Vancouver.

HORSELOGGER ,
I think your idea will work well if the shipping co won't do the pickup at Tom's place(they were supposed to get back to me today).I'll ask him tomorrow what he thinks and if he knows anyplace there in Amherst to drop it off at.I think he had told me that Stevens Point is only 15 miles from his place and it seems like it is a good sized town.I'm learning lots about Wisconsin  ;D

Frank,

I'll see what happens in the morning with Tom,whether or not he found out more from his end.I think it would be worth my while to call your shipping co and get another take on all this.

Stumpy,
feel free to jump in anytime you want.It's a good thing.

Woodcarver

Paul, Roadway Express has a terminal in Stevens Point.

Wausau, a half hour north of Stevens Point is a larger city.  There are probably more terminals there.  I'll check this evening. Have to head for the woods right now to cut pulp.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Curlywoods

We only use Freightquote.com now.  I have 70% discounts with three of the largest freight lines and they never come close to the prices that we get from Freightquote.com.

http://www.freightquote.com

If you call ask for Chris Sanders and tell him that i sent you  ;D  Good guy to work with and no better pricing on almost any shipment in my experience.
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Paul_H

Woodcarver,
Sorry I didn't get back to you last night but I got a babysitter last minute and was able to go to my sons Hockey game.

Curlywoods,

I just got off the phone with Chris at Freightquote and he was helpfull.Now if I can get a hold of Tom today,they will set this all in motion as soon as he can be around to load the resaw at his place.It sounds like it will be a few hundred dollars cheaper too,which blows my mind  ???

Thanks.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

Tom just called and told me he had the resaw ready to load but the driver refused because it wasn't crated.The saw is free standing and I had already contacted Up Country Mfg and asked how they ship them.They told me they are free standing and they ship them all over North America,free standing!

I don't understand the need for crating unless they plan on stacking something on top of it.The frame of the saw has built in slots for a forklift.

I'm spittin nails.

Furby

SwampDonkey

Day and Ross terminals in Wisconsin

There are phone numbers listed, its possible they may come on site.

When I shipped some stuff to Prince Rupert, they came right to the door at my father's potato packing shed, backed up to the ramp, got loaded, then off they went. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

SD,
thanks for the link.I see that they have a terminal right in Stevens Point which is only 15 minutes from Tom's place.
I called Chris at Freightquote and he contacted the trucking company and they apparently have it sorted out.They want the sides enclosed to protect the saw and there own arses in case there is any damage.
Chris also contacted Tom and he has agreed to grab some boards and plywood and enclose it for them and they rescheduled the pick up for tomorrow.

Chris is both fast and efficient!

Furby,
is your truck running yet?  ;)

chet

Paul,
If ya need somebody to kick some butt, I'm only a couple of hours from Shawano, WI.   ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!