iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ooops

Started by Brad_S., March 12, 2005, 10:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

I shamelessly stole this url from another site, figured this crowd would appreciate the situation.
http://knox.villagesoup.com/Community/Story.cfm?StoryID=32168
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

sawdust

ouch.
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

chet

Looks more like a case of sawyer error than a wind problem. It appears by the pictures that he cut all of his holding wood.   ::)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

tnlogger

i bet he dont cut the otherone  :D
gene

KiwiCharlie

Maybe they should cut the other one down before they repair the house??!!...
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D @ KiwiCharlie!
But that would be the SMART thing to do, eh? ::)

maple flats

This is why I now only cut trees in the woods and not near houses, been there , done that but mine missed the building with inches to spare, or at least a fraction of an inch. I only took down a few utility poles, but it WAS MY LUCKY DAY, the mistake cost me nothing and no one got hurt, the utility co. fixed it for free and said not to worry about it they do this all the time and they saw that I had a tree with no signs of defect but was rotten the entire center. All limbs were seemingly good. After it broke off I did find one limb that had been sawed off about 20 feet up and had rotted it inside to the ground but all limb growth still looked good.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Quartlow

I'm surprised the house didn't get more damage,
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

sigidi

This is exactly why I don't put any down, happy to do cutting when they are on the ground, but I always bring in a fella to put 'em down.

This kind of thing just costs too much regardless of dollars - people and their homes...
Always willing to help - Allan

asy

Um...

Begs the question...

Why didn't they take the other one down while the crane was there?

They could have secured it with the crane and lowered it carefully...

Couldn't they???

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Ianab

maybe...

But I've seen some even more impressive pictures where that didn't work.
A crane boom makes an even bigger mess of a house when they underestimate the weight of the tree and drop the CRANE on the house  :o

I'm with Chet on this one, there was not enough hinge wood left.  Pressure from the wedges and the breeze broke the hinge and it fell wherever it wanted.

I also dont cut trees that big near houses, but if I did I'd have a couple of LONG ropes into the top as insurance and the other end connected to a HEAVY peice of machinery.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

asy

Quote from: Ianab on March 14, 2005, 04:45:16 AM
maybe...

But I've seen some even more impressive pictures where that didn't work.
A crane boom makes an even bigger mess of a house when they underestimate the weight of the tree and drop the CRANE on the house  :o

Actually, now that you mention it, that DID happen recently on the Gold Coast...  They'd brought a crane in to drop a tree, and ended up dropping the crane, on a house..  Not pretty.

Must say, I don't know anything about the hinge thingy you were talking about, because I have never dropped a tree, but it sounds like it makes sense...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!