iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

menards says i'm their competition

Started by red oaks lumber, January 29, 2013, 09:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red oaks lumber

my daughter's boyfriend works for me once in awhile when he has a day off or if i need a hand on the farm or at the mill.he recently got hired at menards working the building material dept.
last week his boss called him into the office and gave him a choice he could either work for them or work for me but, could not do both as they view my business as competion. i'm still laughing about that one! :D
i might have to make up some sale fliers and give to a few people, present the advertised sale item and see if menards still thinks i'm the competion and matches the price.... i'm thinking not.
isnt this one of the dumbest thing?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Yes.  But at least now you can have the big head because you are a fierce competitor :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

You have made the big time.   ;D  Do I see a take over coming?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Migal

:D Look's like Menards are being Mean'ard's  :D My thought's are who turned him in Maybe a young lad that wished he was dating your daughter err Hmm.  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

ND rancher

Menards is strange! They are flying in workers to ND from WI every week cause they can't get workers here, and they are worried about the little guy taking business from them! I better be careful if I start selling wood.
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

r.man

Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kansas

Menards is a big box store that when on the rare occasion I go in, I find myself in the hardware section and soon find myself in the potato chip section. Or something like that.

I have heard things about how they treat employees. Its not flattering. Could be your possible future son in law might decide the sawmill business is better. From time to time, a big box store or lumberyard has sent business our way, or bought from us to take care of a customer. Never had that happen with Menard's.

customsawyer

Keep it up and we will be calling you one of those big box stores. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SwampDonkey

If there is an employment standards type of agency I would be having a talk. Maybe Menards should either hire full time or live with the competition. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Axe Handle Hound

I'm not surprised to hear it.  Menards is well known for that approach to employment.  I've known of other people who were let go because they had relatives that worked for the Department of Natural Resources or even the Health Department. 

Kansas

I have thought about this on every angle. I'm stumped. Why would they fire someone who's relative worked for the Health Department? I am sure I am missing something, just don't quite understand what.

ely

probably because the person in charge of menards human resources had an altercation with the dept of human services on a local personal level.

tyb525

I'm surprised to hear all this, I've always preferred menards over any of the other big box stores.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

I got thinking, ::)could be someone on a power trip. I doubt that is menards standard procedure. I wonder what the guy above him would have to say?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I think that is an absolute travesty, to curtail a young man's willingness to work hard.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doctorb

Do employers have the right to tell you what to do in your Off hours time?

We tell our residents that they can not moonlight.  I am not sure that would legally hold up.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

All I know is it wouldn't be over looked here in NB. I guess there will never be a Menards here.  :snowball:

And if it were me, as soon as the guy got done spout'n off I'd be tell'm him where to go. I don't take any kind of employer crap.

Heck, lots of people hold 2 jobs or more because the hours at work are being cut so they don't get bennies like the guy with his thumb on everyone else does.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LOGDOG

Perhaps you underestimate yourself ROL. Did your daughter's boyfriend tell them that you're essentially closing the doors and going farming? Offer to supply them with T&G. Their stuff always looked like junk to me. I bought plenty of other stuff from them though.

Ole' John Menard is a character.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Menard,_Jr.

If John Menard considers you competition ... that's quite a complement.  ;)

red oaks lumber

its my understanding it was the decsion from both the store manager and the general manager at corperate.
when he was hired they told him it was full time, after a couple of weeks things started getting slow so, the hours were cut and even on days he worked if it was slow they sent him home.all he's trying to do is make money to pay bills. now on his days off i'll have him help on the farm.not that i really need help but, if it helps them get by for awhile until something else comes along i'll do it.
sure puts a differant feeling towards menards ;)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

tyb525

That's too bad, they seem to have the best selection of lumber and construction material around here. As far as telling employees what to do after hours, my mom can't drink or even go in to a bar, dance, or do anything remotely immoral by Christian standards according to the University she works at.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Texas Ranger

Which is why I am a Methodist 8) 8) 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

tyb525

Hey me too :D

Off topic, but the first bar/grill I went to in a nearby small town (the only one in the town...) had some flyers up about a bible study held weekly at the bar, lead by a methodist preacher of course!

beenthere

rol
Seems there is more to this than what your future (?) sil is telling you. He may, though I don't know, have other work habits and on-the-job discussions about Menards lumber supply (comparing their apples to your oranges, so to speak) that were not in line with corporate policy or wishes.

But if what you say is the complete story, then I think the boy could get something in writing and visit a lawyer for a harassment case.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LOGDOG

Self edit: Hope he can find another job.

Thank You Sponsors!