iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tilt trailer help

Started by KirkD, February 18, 2017, 07:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KirkD

I bought a 14k 20' tandem tilt trailer to haul logs on and it has a dampening cylinder to let the bed down easy as you drive on it. I want to replace it with a lockable cylinder. I have seen trailers that do lock and adjust on the rate but am having trouble locating a source for one. Help!
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

barbender

In a former job, I pjlled around a Felling 14K tilt bed that had a valve for locking the cylinder. I would think you could just add a valve to your existing cylinder to be able to lock it. When locked it would hold up skid steers and 5K asphalt rollers. Things can get interesting, I used to pin it and run one piece on, then a second piece behind and then open the valve. I got lazy and tried to back a skid steer off without closing the valve. I figured I'd just back off quickly before the trailer sef down, well it didn't work :o It's a good way to get a good look at the sky ;D
Too many irons in the fire

KirkD

The cylinder on this one does not have any external ports like and in and out. Only an oil fill hole midway up on it like a jack would have. So it was never designed to have external control. 

Ljohnsaw

In that case, how about replacing that cylinder with one that has ports, run hoses out to the side and place a flow control valve there to control it.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

KirkD

I thought there was more to it than that. Aren't the dampening cylinders built different than a hydraulic one?

Ox

Think of it like this:  say you have a load of gravel in the bucket loader of a tractor.  You want to let it down easy and slow.  You don't mash it all the way to max down on the hydraulic lever, you feather it gently, to let just a little bit of fluid past the valve to control the rate of descent.  This is cushioning.  Same thing would be happening in a hydraulic cylinder in your trailer while using a valve of some sort.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!