iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Premium

Started by woodmills1, February 28, 2006, 06:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Just finished the delivery of a premium order for me that i have been picking at over the last week working in the unheated garage in this frigid weather.  540 linear feet of 1 by 4  arount 200 of 1 by 6 some 270 feet of 1 by 2 with a nice 100 inch 1 by 10 and a few other assorted cut to length and width pieces.  This was to replace all the pine moulding at a local chinease resturant with my oak.  Average comes to $3.05 per square all one inch, understand every bit was picked ripped jointed and planed with 80% clear big box nice, but a few were less than good.

For those of you thinking about this business, in my estimation this is where the profit is.  I got payed three years ago to make the rough lumber this came from.  They were the jacket boards from a post and beam order I filled.  Yes I had to sticker them  and yes I spent at least 8 hours 3 years later unstickering and planing to 7/8 before dead stacking, but they were there ready to fill the order i  got last week.

Was it fun schlepping the 8 by 8's on the original order?   Yes
Was it fun making this order?  Yes but too cold

Just wish I had my 2000 sq ft barn back, the garage, even with the addition means I tripped one too many times. :D :D

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

sprucebunny

I'm glad you've been busy during our little cold spell. It sounds profitable for you  :)

I think I would have warmed the place up a little with an occasional blast from a salamander ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Tim L

I looked at your gallery, are you going to heat the garage with the wood boiler ? By the way congrats on the hard work paying off
Do the best you can and don't look back

woodmills1

future plans to heat the garage and an adjacent 20 by 37 woodshop just as soon as I turn the screenhouse/shed into the woodshop :D :D.  the wood boiler has a second set of taps off the reservoir and would only need anothe circulator to make a second circuit.  now...........should I run a loop under the driveway to melt snow? :)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tim L

I have questions about your set up can I pm you ?

woodmills1

sure, or you can ask right here if you want to share your question with the rest.  Either way up to you.

Tim L

OK i'll share, my neighbor and I were at the ag show in Manchester NH in Feb. A vendor there said the insulated pipe for the wood boiler cost as much as the boiler did. Yet some folks improvise the underground  insulation, what did you do ?

ronwood

Tim L

I put in a Central Boiler last spring. Bought their pipe and insulation. It ran me around $6.00 ft installed. Prices went up this fall on the materials. Still did not cost me as much as the stove. Had 2 runs one 190 ft. and the other 120 ft.

Ron

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Tim L

This stuff looked like 4 inch black poly with supply and return pex tubing in it with expanding foam shot all around it. The one inch pex piece was 12$ a foot and the 1 1/4 stuff was 20$

ronwood

Tim L

Central Boiler sells the something simuilar to that. You can also buy the pex, isulation and plastic sleeving material. That is what I bought for around $6.00 ft. The other was around twice that.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

wiam

When I installed my CB about 6 years ago I used 1 1/2 m copper for the loop to house.  I used heavy pipe insulation around this and the 2 pipes are inside 10" ADS.  This cost about $10 per foot from the house.  My dealer told me that with 1" pex I could only get about 80,000 btu/hr.

Will

woodmills1

My package from free heat machine included the 1" pex, which it appears was priced at just under 50 cents per foot.  For insulation the package had 9" by 9" high performance expanded polystyreene insulation blocks which the two pipes ran through.  This was not water tight to the pex so the last step was a heavy duty cross linked HDPE poly sleeve which was slipped over the styreene in one 50' piece without making any perferations.  This sleeve runs from just inside the foundation wall all the way up into the back of the stove.  The purpose is to keep ground water from standing next to the pipe and drawing off to many BTU's.  I think you must be talking about waterproof sleve insulation that slips directly onto the pipe.

Thank You Sponsors!