iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Now It's happened to Me....

Started by Lud, March 01, 2006, 04:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lud

Got out on the manual mill with my first red oak log.  Trying to follow UrbanLogger's quarter sawing format.  Pitched a big slab off to the side and wanted to flip it over and ......

The log rolled off the mill!    And I'd read all those threads about how intelligent and unembarressed it makes you feel!

It was late enough in the afternoon that I decided it was time for a drink and watch a little golf on the tube.

And yesterday the UPS guy brought part of the solution to my problem.  My new 60' LogRite cant hook!  Thanks Captain!  Like that BR549 code to donate 10% to the Forum!

I'll show that log when I get home from work! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Brad_S.

Well, you're half way to being a 'made' sawyer. Once you saw into one of your posts, we'll show you the secret handshake and toast you into the fraternity! :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

IL Bull

I usually do that when loading a log on the mill with my skid steer and forget to put the log dogs up.  :o;D :D
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Daren

IL Bull, that must be an Illinois thing. I don't forget, I just think for sure it will be o.k this one time. I can drive it 100 ft. on the forks and it does even wiggle, but as soon as I ease it onto the deck it takes off like a rocket. I have also learned (I'm sure there is some physics thing here) the bigger they are the farther they roll.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

MemphisLogger

Yer scarin' me, Lud  :o

Can I be held liable for recommending that folks roll logs off the sides of their mills?

:-[ 
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Lud

It wasn't Scott's directions...It was all my fault.  As I inched that big sucker back up on the mill last night with my prybar I was promising myself to "always" put the dog in on the off-side socket to avoid losing the log  "off " the mill when I was turning it.

Darin,  you may be on to something as to why I lost that stick!  I got Illinois blood in me even tho I was born here in Ohio.  Both my folks were  Illinois  born 'n bred down near Danville .  Still got kin in Oakwood.  Nothin' like farm cookin'! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Captain

Glad to, Lud.  Give us some pics of that oak...

Captain

highpockets

I was wondering if I was the only one. thanks.   
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

UNCLEBUCK

I am still waiting for "The Ludville Slugger"  8)

Whats this about a secret handshake  ??? 
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Lud

hey Getoverit,
                        in your bottom line ,  when you say" always lookin' for used equipment" .  don't you think that should be after the sawmill description and not after the "Best wife" description?   Inquiring minds,  blah, blah, blah.............. ;D

getoverit

:D :D :D my wife said the same thing  :D :D :D

I've kept her around (or is it that she has kept ME around?) for over 30 years... no need changing a good thing when you got it good.

its the used woodworking equipment that i'm looking for.... right now I'm looking for a cheap way to move logs around the lot... doesnt have to be pretty, just functional and inexpensive. anybody got a skidsteer, all terrain forklift, tractor with loader... etc??? needs to be able to lift about 4000# or so..
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Thank You Sponsors!