iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Herter's

Started by terry f, November 27, 2015, 12:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry f

Who remembers reading the Herter's catalog? As a poor kid with no money, it was a dream book. I had to google it to see what happened to them, looks like some feathers took them down.

starmac

I actually still use an old heavy duty herters press. Remember the catalog well.
I also have and use an old hollywood 12 station press. I like the old iron.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Autocar

For sure it was the greatest dream book ever printed. That brings back alot of memories.
Bill

mart

Used to wear out their catalog every year. Couldn't buy much back then but loved looking at the catalog. I have two of their Powermag revolvers now. One a 401 and the other a 44. Homely but well made gun.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

millwright

I have a couple of old Catologs that I look at every once in a while. It's amazing how much they had.

beenthere

Remember those catalogs well.   Thanks for the reminder. Will drag out an old copy, if I can find it.

https://prezi.com/sw59mojxuigy/the-history-of-herters/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

trapper

we had a store half way between Fond du lac and Madison. I bought real fur and leather stuffed animals for the kids there.  Had a couple of Georges books.  One was George the housewife.  He was an authority on everything.  Still have a set of herters 270 dies for reloading also a bullet swaging tool.  Took 30 cal. cast bullets and swaged them into .270 using the loading press. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Chuck White

I used to buy quite a bit of reloading stuff from Herters!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I loved those old Herter's catalogs.  No doubt they knew how to write an item up so that you would think that it had to be the best ever.....and that you could not do without it. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Grandpa

Yes, I remember them from my childhood and still have one.

Mr. Herter, (or someone) was a marketing genius. The descriptions were written in such a way that you couldn't help but look at something just to see the description.

I also still have a press, case trimmer, and some dies that must be 45 years old and still work just fine.

Has anyone ever seen a rifle chambered for a Herters ram magnum or a Herters missile magnum?

Chuck White

Just went and checked, and I still have 90 30 caliber jacketed bullets still in the original Herter's box.

These are 220 Gr, .308, Round Nose.

No idea where I used the other 10, most likely loaded a few for a friend.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

trapper

Listening  on the radio today a lady who is the nutrition person for a local nursing home was telling about the antioxidant value of eating the white between the skin and the pulp of an orange. George Lenard Herter wrote about that in one of his books 40 years ago.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

petefrom bearswamp

Good old Herters was a staple with me too.
Just retired the old powder measure and scales last winter.
Model perfect and  super maximum were two of their descriptions regarding their stuff.
I remember George Leonard's book "How to Live with a Bitch" among many others
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ron Scott

They had great duck decoys and duck hunting supplies.
~Ron

Slingshot

I still have one of their hunting knives. My father-in-law and I both bought
one back in the 60's. I lost mine but still have the one he bought. Good feel
to it, walnut handles and 8-i/2 inch overall length.

Bibbyman

I use to read their catalog end to end and shop for hours.  The first reloading I did that wasn't Lee kit set was on a loaned to me Herter's press that weighed as much as a small block Chevy engine.  My brother-in-law drove way up north to get a Herter's 401 power mag pistol.  He didn't keep it long.  I wonder if it would have collector's value now?  I see shotgun shells with Herter's brand name on them. Are they in business?

How about the JC Whitney catalog?  I custom built thousands of cars in my fantasy reading their catalog.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

terry f

Having a 52 WILLYS as my first car, JC Whitney and Sears were the two places for parts in the 70's

mart

Quote from: Bibbyman on February 12, 2016, 08:05:23 AM
My brother-in-law drove way up north to get a Herter's 401 power mag pistol.  He didn't keep it long.  I wonder if it would have collector's value now?

I have one of the 401 Powermags. They have a small, devoted following but not really any serious collector's value. Most run in the $350-400 price range for one in excellent condition. They are a very well made, albeit somewhat homely handgun. I have both the 401 and the 44 magnum in the Powermag. They also made the Powermag in 357. I haven't had much luck finding one to complete my trio.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

trapper

cabelas owns the herters name They use it on waterfowl hunting things and ammunition

Delawhere Jack

Just posted this in another thread. A Herter's universal neck sizing die. (Extended to the max for comic effect...)

Gearbox

Herters was dealing in migratory bird feathers and by the time the feds got done with them they went bankrupt or at least broke .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Larry

Cheeez, you me Herter's is completely out of business?  Now where am I to find my ammo?  Down to my last box.

Nothing compares to Herter's ammo!

Back in the dark ages, I think Herter's was the only place that carried 6.5 X 55.  Even brass was hard to find.  It did shoot pretty good for factory stuff but was on the expensive side.

Seems like I sold them squirrel tails at one time.  There musta been a shortage of quality tails for me to get my foot in the door.  Can't remember exactly the details.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

I like the 6.5x55, Larry.

I only ever shot one, it was a model 94 Swedish Mauser.

That was back in the 70's, been looking for one ever since!

Yoder409

I was in the Mitchell, SD store in 1976.  Pretty big deal for a kid from the east back then.

My first bow came mail order from Herter's.

Still own a pair of their .401 PowerMag revolvers and a bunch of original ammo/brass.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

trapper

Did they have the big guy in the driveway you could sit in  his hand and get your picture taken?  How about the stuffed horse?  They were there when I was there but don't remember the year.

Thank You Sponsors!