iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling Cherry at Dugsaws

Started by WV_hillbilly, January 10, 2004, 07:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV_hillbilly

I recently had to cut a couple of cherry trees down on my  place that the wind had tipped over . I took them up and Dugsaws milled them up for me .  As I 'm mill callenged at the present time. There is a before pic , during pic  and an after pic .  I wasn' t allowd to put faces in the pics to protect the innocent . Every time I got the camera out everyones head just turned around ???.  I would also like to thank Doug and his dad for taking time ot of their busy schedule to mill up those logs for me .

. I ask Doug if we was going to have to  eat peas after we were done and he said  there was something better down the road  .It was one of those little country places with pretty good food. I like going to those places cause the foods good and you don't have to mortgage the house to have dinner.  
Hillbilly

Fla._Deadheader

Nice job, WV. Like the way ya tie them slabs on top of the load. We do the same. Trailering stuff 200 miles at 70 MPH, could get messy, if they ain't tied down real good.  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WV_hillbilly

Even though we couldn't go 70 mph I still like to bind loads down real good . I have only lost 1 load of wood hauling and it was a pickup truck load .It was my fault . I had about 300 bd/ft in the truck and thought it won't go anywhere  ::). Well we got about 1/2 way home , pulled out at an intersection and uhoh the stack slid out in the middle of the intersection just like I piled it there .  15 minutes later and some help from a passerby I was on my way . It happened about 40 yards from the police station in that little town . I thoought a ticket for an unsecure load was coming but the officer just laughed and said he never seen that happen before .

Some of those slabs will end up as plaques and others in the firewood pile .The ones on bottom right hand side of the last pic are some real nice crotch wood about 5 ft long and 24 in wide   I already havean idea of what I want to cut out of them so now it's just a waiting game for them to dry.  

My dad wanted me to cut all of those trees up into fire wood and I told him he was crazy .Then when I brought back the boards he said that he's glad I didn' t listen to him .  :o  That's the first time I've ever heard him say that  usually it's Why don't you listen to what I'm saying boy  ;D.
Hillbilly

Norm

Those are some nice logs WV, whenever we get ones like that Patty stashes em away. Cherry is my favorite wood to slice up. It smells so good and has some colors that last for a very short time after it is cut.  

Btw I have been paying attention for some q-sawn grain that we get when we cut cherry. I thought it would not have any but it does show some flecking if it is perfectly aligned. Very nice but you sure don't get much of it even if your trying.

WV_hillbilly

Norm those  were on the smaller side. I have another 14'  x 20" butt log that is still in the woods. I tried to get it today but ended up getting the tractor stuck once . I gave up cause I didn' t have it chained up . I will go down next weekend  with the chains on a finish the job .   You would love to see some of the other cherries in my woods. A couple are In the 30" range with no branches for 20' . When those come out I will have to get someone with a dozer or skidder to get them out .There is also 1 white  oak in the 40"  range and about 60' to the first branch . I would love to have that one Quarter sawn .I don't even think I will cut that one cause I 'd be afraid on messin up. I will get a pro to come in and take that white oak down .
Hillbilly

hillbilly

Howdy WV,
       Those are sure some perty cherry logs that you have there.I'm just curiuos did you all Q saw those or flat saw them.I've got some cherry that I have to saw for a neighbor about that size that came all the way here from their families farm down in alabama.I'm kind of nervous about it,I do a decent job on oak and walnut but I've yet to cut any pine or cherry any advice on the cherry should Iturn it alot cutting the best faces  like w/oak or should Isaw it through.

GreenMnt Hillbilly

Kirk_Allen

Hillbilly:  I cut quite a bit of cherry this past year and I cut the best face on most of it.  

Cherry is known for its grain and when you q-saw it the lines are straight, the color is OK but the pattern is missing, which is what most folks want in Cherry.

Ask the customer what they will be using it for.  q-saw is great for stiles and rails on cabinets and flat sawn for the panels.  

If you cut W Oak, and walnut you will love cutting the cherry.  I too had cut mostly oak, hickory, and walnut prior to landing our gold mine of free cherry.  If I had a choice, I would cut cherry all day long! 8) 8)

woodmills1

When you get home after cutting cherry you smell nice.  It cuts easier than white oak and doesn't jump around the knots like pine
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WV_hillbilly

There is only one other wood I like the smell of better than fresh cut cherry  and that is sassafrass .

When I have cherry sawn it is mostly flat sawn .
Hillbilly

woodmills1

I miss many things from when I lived in W Va.  One was being able to pull a little tiny sasafrass tree and stick the root in my mouth and taste that real sassparrilla root beer taste.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

L. Wakefield

Woodmills, I swear it WILL grow up our way. There was a tree of it out behind the elementary school right here in Hollis when I was  of that age. I keep meaning to dig some up and bring it north. If I get around to it do you want me to bring you a few also? I love the smell of it. Even the leaves and the green twigs are fragrant but not the same as the root.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Kevin

How far north would you be going LW?  ;D

woodmills1

If it will grow I will plant it.

L. Wakefield

I am in Hollis, Maine (see my tree)- it is zone 3-5 depending on the part of the property. I would be transplanting from Ritchie Co WV. It's not done yet...

Hey Jeff- could I get anudder tree on my pace in WV? How wood I do that?  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Dugsaws

I do need to admit not edging those boards sure takes all the work out of sawing, that is the first person I have sawed for that wanted live edges  :D
Doug

woodmills1

I sawed some live edge pine for a phone order customer.  Yes he says i want it and will pay.  Sure enough he saw it and it wasn't what he wanted.  He did however find some stuff he liked in the burn pile.  Amazing how close the cost of the burn pile wood was to the cut order.  He paid. :D

Hey L bring some sasafrass up next time you pass through and we will do a bonfire and put you guys up for the night and maybe even cook.

UNCLEBUCK

Hi WV , nice logs and pictures. Would you ever or have you ever put nice boards like that into a solar kiln and if so what was the results .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

WV_hillbilly

UncleBuck  
                      No I haven't put any wood in a solar kiln. I do it the Ol fashioned and slow way  airdried.  I have the space and time to let it dry that way.  I think some of the members on here have solar kilns . Whitepe Maybe ? So iwouldn't know the results .  Sorry
Hillbilly

Thank You Sponsors!