iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scragg Mill

Started by Swede, January 24, 2004, 10:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swede

As I´ve told before we have a lot of areas here with 30-40 Y.O.  spruce stands ready to thin out

Do anyone have any experience of profitable milling  logs  Ø 4-12" in the small end?
I have an idea about cuting two sides with my band sawmill and then pick it to a scragg mill with 2-4 cirkular blades on the same shaft. Think I can get one unexpensive when the snow is gone.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

woodmills1

I don't know if it is any help but a guy I know has been trying to sell me a used scragg.  Shipping might be prohibitive but let me know if you want info.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ron Wenrich

That sounds more like what we call a gang saw.  Its something like an edger with several saws on one shaft.  But, the saws are stationary and are set a certain distance apart.

It works great if you saw your width, then put pieces through to get a certain thickness.  But, you have to have a certain power requirement.  

A gang saw will take material much faster than your bandsaw.

Are you planning to cut dimension stock from the spruce?  Is this the first thinning at 30-40 yrs?  How long of a rotation do you have?

Sure would be nice to hear how things are done in Sweden. ;D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Swede

Ron Wenrich;

I recognize Gangsaw. It´s when there are more than 2 blades, or..?  When I was young I worked at a saw mill with one big cirkular blade for blocking. One whith 4-5 cirkular blades where You could move the blades on the shaft with levels and one edger (?) with 2 blades and one level for the width.
Yes it was a stationary plant but the gangsaw and edger Isn´t too big to put on wheels. Don´t dorget I am a mecanic! :) For a job where I need both "Amerika-Sågen" and the edger/gangsaw .....*HummeleHummeleHummel*.....Yes I need a tractor to pull it. And from the tractor I can get power for the gangsaw, hydraulic or mecanical.
But to move the stuff with a tractor I need some days work in the same neighborhood, 30 km/h isn´t very fast. (Cicus Swede) 8)
From the beginning I was up to find a way to put these small logs between two cirkular blades but I think all of them should be opened from the wrong side (propellers) and I get killed. The trees You fell when thinning out is full of stress.

I can´t find "dimension stock" in  < http://lexin.nada.kth.se/sve-eng.shtml > but I´m going to cut everything for money! ;D

Swede. *gone to start a new string*

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)

Ron Wenrich

What we call dimension stock is a 2" x 4", or 2" x 6", or 1" x 4", etc.  Length is to the even foot. Yours would be 20 x 40, I think.  

Hardwoods in this country are not cut to dimension, but by random width and length.  There are some markets for hardwoods cut to dimension, but they are more often lower grades.

The hardwoods are graded for the amount of clear cuttings that can be gotten from a board.  The higher the amount, the higher the dollar value.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Swede

Ron;

Yes, then I´m up to sawing dimention stock. We use metric measure but old maschines is made for ".
12, 19, 22, 25 32, 38, 50 mm etc. is very close to "the old" *sorry* ::) mesures.
From logs from thining out areas I can saw 2-8" (50-200mm) on the band mill and after that depends what gangsaw I can find.

We cut logs in 3 dm.(1'=304,8mm) +100mm for cuting after the mill.

Small logs get cut as "kubb" in length 2,45, 2,65 or  3,05 M. and get sawed to 50x75, 50x100, and 25x100 for pallets. A little higher price than as pulpwood.
Perhaps You can find even a pricelist in english by the link. $1= 7,20 SEK.

I´ll try to saw for the foresters/farmers requirement,  logs  to big for the mills around here, even buy some trees here and some ther. Some people has get their land by inheritance, lives away and don´t know what to do with it. Some wind can get them big problems.

I hope to prove to people that aspen is useful as spur + it´s the best in a horse stable. It dont get slippery as all other woods.
I´ll see what more comes up.

Swede.

Thank You Sponsors!